Thursday, January 12, 2012

The TT Exercise plan

Well, now.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one that uses my frustration to fuel a workout!  I suppose it's better than actually punching someone in the face, so keep on keepin' on, folks.  I will to.  And, speaking of exercise, today I wanna talk about it.  How's your active resolution going?  Good?  Mine too.  (It's too bad the expression is "You are what you eat".)  However, if you're lagging a bit, I have some thoughts.  Remember my trash TV confession?  Yup, it's getting bad.  I ditched "The Firm" (couldn't get into it) but am holding pretty strong with "The Bachelor" (kill me now.  Those ladies are psychotic.  And that's being nice).  Some of the trash (Fringe, Family Guy, American Dad, Up All Night) are hubster approved-we watch those together while I cut out coupons or address baby shower invites (:-D)
 But the shows that AREN'T Hubster approved (Young and the Restless, The Bachelor, Undercover Boss) Those need a plan.  And not a sit on the couch stuff my face with cheetos plan.
The Show:  Young and the Restless.  5 hours a week.  Down to 40 minutes a day with skipped commercials.
The Equipment:  Bike and trainer. 
Episode 1:  Tempo Ride, 13 miles = 40 minutes.
Episode 2:  Speed workout:  Warm up 5 minutes.  All out 1 minute, recover 2 minutes.  Repeat 10 times.  5 minute cool down.
Option B:  Bike fartleks:  Warm up 5 minutes.  All out every time someone sleeps with a family member, kills someone, ages overnight, gets married, or goes to jail.  Cool down 5 minutes (Warning-I think I died once attempting this.)
Episodes 3-5:  Long easy ride.  2 hours, about 40 miles. 
Total mileage per week off of crap TV:  60-70 miles.
The Show:  The Bachelor .  2 hours a week (about 80 minutes with commercial sped through)
The Equipment:  Treadmill
Option 1:  Tempo speed walk with hills.  Warm up 3.2, increase to 3.5, incline 1.  Increase the incline by 1 every time a woman cries, snarks, kisses the bachelor, shows boob, or wears a bikini.  Since the treadmill maxes at 15%, bring down to 1% again after 20 minutes.  Repeat as necessary.  Awesome tush workout.
Option 2:  Consistent walk at 3.5 mph-I can cover about 4 miles a show.  Better than sitting on my bum!
The Show:  Undercover Boss.  1 hour per week (40 minutes total show time)
Equipment:  Free Weights and a mat (optional)
Warm up 2 minutes jumping jacks or similar.  Repeat 5 times:  20 crunches, 20 squats, 20 push ups, 20 dead lifts, 20 bicep curls, 20 tricep curls.  Cool down stretches. 

Crap TV:  8 hours a week, est. viewing time 6 hours total.You just got in your American Council on Exercise's recommendation for physical activity for the week.  Times two.

Hows that trash TV habit looking now?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I this happened but I found myself watching a marathon of the first season of Dance Moms this Tuesday. I watched every episode up until and including the season 2 premiere. It's a crazy show with crazy moms and a psychotic dance instructor that travel all over the world to compete. I found the dancers to be very talented for such a young age who will probably have some serious mental issues when they grow up. The show got me so hooked that it is now a scheduled recording on the DVR. I need a life!

    ReplyDelete