Thursday, January 5, 2012

Take 5

Blame Dave Brubeck for this one.  Here I am after a long day or work trying to come up with a nice catchy title for this post.  January 5....5....what can I do with 5?  Okay, in keeping with the healthy intentions, maybe a post on relaxing?  Take 5?  Nah, thats's silly.  Think of another one.
3 hours later, with Dave Brubeck still running through my head, I acquiesced.  Okay, fine.  Take 5 it is.

Has this week seemed long to anyone else?  I would like to know why...when it's a 4 day work week that it seems interminable.  Any thoughts?  Me either.  Well, I'll start off by sharing that my January goals are going rather well....for the most part.  I've started my journal (Solveig suggested livestrong.com as a possible option to get me out of the stone age..need to check that out!) and am duly recording my eats and movement.  And, aside from a moment with some reese's pieces last night, I am doing reasonably well. (Anyone else have a torrid affair with this candy?  It's ok, I won't judge).  Down a pound already, though...and even though it might be water weight, I am embracing it fully. 
No, not THAT Take 5!
So what of my tryst with the candy?  Well, it's gonna happen.  I expect it.  It would be pretty cool to be detached emotionally from food, and solely eat the "good stuff" when I am hungry, but it's not reasonable.  And to be quite honest, kinda boring.  (Who doesn't get excited by Grandma's apple pie?  Nuff said).  But, lest I need to go a pants size larger, I need to get a handle on it :-)  So, as of January 5th, I encourage everyone to Take 5!  Minutes, that is.
Whats your New Year's resolution?  Something you want to make your life better?  But when you get hungry, angry, lonely, tired or stressed (HALTS) it's gonna be so easy to fall back on your old ways.  In my case, chocolate.  When that happens, I've decided to take 5 minutes and....
1.  Do something different.  Remove myself from the scene.  Banned from the kitchen.
2.  Identify my emotion.  Angry?  Punch a pillow.  Lonely?  Call a friend (and not an energy vampire-a supportive one).  Tired?  Go to bed, already!  Stressed?  Do something relaxing.
3.  If it is hunger, have a nutritious snack, and also a bit of the thing I am craving.  Fix the tummy, fix the craving.
4.  Remember my long term goals.  Running speed.  Feeling good.  Pants that fit. 
5.  Resume life.  If I make it out successfully, pat myself on the back.  If not, then hit the restart button ASAP.
Now that's what I call winning.
I can't help that I'm lame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment