Saturday, January 14, 2012

Going the Extra Mile

Whew.  Didn't think I was gonna make it though this week!  After yesterday, I kinda felt like my co-worker, EJ...
Yup, it was another rough week at work.  So, rather than drag y'all through sub par (even for me) reading last night, I came home, shoveled half the driveway before my neighbor rescued me, changed into jammies, and watched Fringe and read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" while the hubster watched hockey.  It was a wild n crazy night at casa Glaser, I tell ya.
Well, onto the weekend.  Today marked the Olympic Trials for the men's and women's marathon team for this summer, so, of course I watched for inspiration while pounding out 26.2 miles of my own (on my bike.  I'm not THAT crazy.)  I was super happy that my fave for the men's team won (yay, Meb!) and was impressed beyond belief that the top 3 women all beat the trial record by 2 minutes or more.  What kills me is that the winning time for the women (2:26:xx) is more than 90 minutes off my marathon PR.  Now those are some fast legs!  One can dream :-)
Not too much else going on around here...it finally snowed in WNY yesterday-we got a whopping 6 inches and you would have thought the world shut down.  I think the city of Rochester is into extreme sports...let's turn our freeways into a sledding race with cars by NOT plowing-yay, superfun!  Well, I always like to spend almost 3 hours on my commute listening to bad radio, so carry on, carry on.  Today was much prettier...another light dusting and nowhere to go outside the house, so I'm on board with winter again.  Ask me tomorrow how I feel after my long run.
Enough mish mosh.  I'll talk more tomorrow about week #2 check in (I had a revelation) but I got some mail from a pretty wise man I want to share with you...very apropros with the New year and trials today.  It's entitled "New Year's Resolutions" and I picked my top 4:
1.  Know that God loves you and live accordingly.  God made you for a reason, and the world would be poor without you.
2. God has forgiven you much; forgive others.  Grudges and anger will only make you miserable, and in the end, you will find yourself a lonely and bitter person.
3.  Work at making others happy; this is the true road to self-fulfillment.
4.  Tell those you love that you love them.  There is no greater regret than losing a friend or relative to whom we have not expressed our love.

Obviously this is a religious path to resolutions, and I am not super religious, but I thought these were kind of neat.  Something a bit deeper than the "lose 10 pounds" plea.  Not that I'm not behind that one, too, but all too often we focus on our body rather than soul and it takes both to function :-)  Food for Saturday thought.

And on that deep note, I'm gonna go watch the 49ers kick some NOLA ass.  Go San Fran!

No comments:

Post a Comment