Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mind over Matter

Hey hey hey!  Back in the saddle today....after two weeks of holidays.....good food, family time, fun with friends....and good food (yeah, I meant that), it's now time to go back to the 9-5 and at least some sense of normalcy.  To kick it off, old man winter stepped in early this morning with our first dusting of snow and single degree temps.  Brr. 
Well, since the alarm so rudely ended my vacation this morning (I know, cry me a river), I decided to jump up and start the day with a bang!  Drove to work with purpose, got it done, and then healthy shop done on my way home.  Yup, it's time to start the January mini goals!  As I talked about in my 2012 rezzie post, this month I am focusing on eating.  (Well, and one other thing, but we'll get to that).  Specifically, mindful eating, or, intuitive eating.  Shelley sent me a great rec for a book to help me along (ordered-thanks Shelley!) so I will see if that helps, but in the meantime, I've got a few thoughts of my own.  I've decided to do this week by week so I don't overwhelm myself. 
Let's analyze this, shall we? (with science, of course)

The symptoms:  29 year old active female.  Off season training load 7-10 hours a week.  Activity level not a problem.  Eating-extremely healthy, yet somewhat restrictive...until post dinner, when all hell breaks loose.  Serious sweet tooth past 9pm.  Known to binge on cookies and sweets occasionally.
Presenting Issues:  An extra 7 pounds since Ironman Lake Placid 2010.  Slight tummy.  Unhappy athlete.
Goal-  Lose those 7 pounds, learn intuitive eating techniques.

Week one goals: 
1.  Start a food journal.  While I am not a fan of it long term, I think that writing down everything that I eat for a few months might be helpful in keeping me honest with my sweets intake. 
2.  One planned snack a night, with an emergency apple.  I can indulge in one reasonably portioned sweet treat a night.  If I want more, I will have a piece of fruit.  If I am truly hungry, an apple will sound good.
3.  No overnight eating.  This is lame, and it hurts to admit it, but sometimes I get the midnight munchies and raid the fridge at 1 a.m.  Lame.  It needs to stop.  If I am hungry, breakfast will be better.

Ready, set, go!  What are your January mini goals?  Someone tell me I am not alone with these issues!

1 comment:

  1. Rae, love the mini goals! Keep me posted on whether or not you like the book :) Happy January!

    ReplyDelete