Wednesday, January 18, 2012

There's always room!

Hiya friends and happy Wednesday!  How's your week chugging along?  It's dandy-tastic on my side of the world for the middle of the week.  Aside from the fact that our temperature dropped 20 degrees overnight and the wind could carry me to Oz, it was a great night's sleep and a full day of char-char-charging ahead!  Last night when I posted about my random treadmill thoughts, I talked about dessert (a shocker).  Well, that was for tonight.  See, sometimes people take pity on me and the hubster and give us a social life invite us over for a homemade,yummy in your tummy Italian dinner.  Tonight was such a night.  And since I'm not a total schmuck (most of the time) I offered to bring dessert.  The catch(es?)  Our hosts are diabetic, which means sugar free.  No biggie, I love to try to make things a bit less rich.  The bigger catch?  I've been so darn tired after work that I always forget to stop at the store, so I was left with some lameo ingredients with which to create a presentable dish.  The result?  Angelic Ambrosia.  Pairs well with Italian, right?  Okay, not hardly, but roll with it :-)

Angelic Ambrosia
The goods:
2 packages sugar free Strawberry Jello
1 container Strawberry Greek Yogurt (6oz, I used Chobani)
1 can Libby's Sugar Free Mandarin oranges, drained
2 tbsp. coconut

Add the jello powder to a mixing bowl.  Boil 2 cups water on the stove, whisk into the jello.  Add in 1 cup cold water, stick it in the fridge for an hour.  Stir the semi-jelled mixture, add in oranges and yogurt.  Pour into pretty pie plate so it looks like you tried hard.  Sprinkle coconut on top.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.  Serves 4 dessert lovin people.

in case you're interested in the stats, it works out to be about 90 calories a serving.  As a volume eater, I can get behind that.  Cause there's always room for jello, right?
Well...maybe not after this soup.  (Italian Wedding!)  Go ahead and drool, it's acceptable.  I'll see if she will part with the recipe.  Mmm mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment