Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The other Half

Well, hello there!  Good thing today was another sunshiny day, seeing as I spent 4 hours in my car!  Training in Buffalo for work = early start, too much thruway and a long day for me!  Still, can't complain....we got to go out to lunch at Olive Garden on the company dime (sweet!) and I managed to find enough energy to get in a 20 mile tempo ride when I got home.  Sweet!  Which reminds me....I'm sitting at a table with 5 women and two men during this lunch, all social workers from across the state, and we're networking.  We start talking about families and what we do for fun.  So this one woman asks me..."What do you do for fun?"  "Well"  I say, "I'm a runner".  My boss rolls his eyes and goes "She's modest.  She does IRONMANS". And the woman goes "You do what?" So one of the guys tells her what an Ironman is.  And the woman looks at me like I'm nuts and goes....so....you train for a race that's essentially from Rochester to Buffalo and back in terms of miles?".  "Um, yeah".  I reply.  "So"  she says..."What do you do for fun".  Oh man.  Time to lay off the Ironmans, Rae.
 Well, funny you should say that.....
Cause it's half time!
No, not football.
And no, not the Buffalo half marathon (though I did see part of that course today-I smell a PR!  (yes, I'm thinking positive)).  Speaking of which for a sec, my half marathon training is going pretty well...haven't really hit as fast as I want for tempo runs, but I've done well with speed repeats and the long run, which isn't too darn bad for taking the last 5 months as an excuse to be a lazy Reese's eating cat lady :-)
Ahem. Sorry.  The other half.  Yes.  This week marks the beginning of tri training season for me....my 18 week Musselman prep!  Woot woot!  Yes,I know I was going to take the year off.  But when my secret boyfriend Jeff Henderson (crap, I outed myself) sends a free entry my way, what do I do?  I TRAIN.  I lift things up and put them down.  Errr....I swim, bike and run!  Yay!
I'm trying something new this year though.  I am still following my ever faithful trigeek plan (which has served me super well for both the full and half distances) but I am subbing out some of the workouts to suit my own goals.  For the next 9 weeks, I'm subbing out the runs with the runs from the FIRST plan = 3 runs a week (speed, tempo and long).
I'm doing one long ride and one speed and/or tempo ride.  Goal pace = 19 mph.  I averaged almost 18 on my last Ironman, so I think I can I think I can.
And for swims = 2 swims a week-one speed work and drills, one recovery with no lap counting.  Because, really, I'm super type A and I need to give it a rest!
2 full body strength workouts.
And 2 yoga/stretch sessions a week.
Yes,I plan to sleep.  If I do it the right way, none of these workouts (save for the long ride and run, which are done on the weekends) take more than an hour.  I take Mondays off, do 2 a days on Tue-Thur and one on Friday. Weekly volume = 10-15 hours.
Game on, sub 6.  You are so mine. I can taste you!

No comments:

Post a Comment