Friday, March 23, 2012

The proletariat

Back in the day, it was simple.  Bourgeoisie and the Proletariat.  The haves and the have nots.  The Haves-jobs.  land.  money.  houses.  food.  The Have Nots- dependent on the "Haves", often hungry, poor, lacking in housing.
And that's the way it was. 
Is it still that way, or have we changed?
I've been thinking about this for awhile.....today seemed the perfect day to talk about it, with the new Hunger Games movie out....a dystopia, to be sure, but to some extent, the epitome of the society with the "haves" (the capitol, district 1 and 2) and the "have nots" (most of the rest of the districts, especially 9, 11 and 12).
Don't worry, I'm not going to talk about history.  Ironically, this has to do with the way I've been feeling about life lately. 
Not great.
Which is strange, because I'm usually your eternal optimist.  But not lately.  I've been finding myself staring at the mirror, not liking what I see.  Looking at my watch after a long run, hating the number.  Tearing my hair out after a stressful day at work.  Sinking onto the couch at 7pm, absolutely spent.  Hating the way I feel. The way I look.  And not having much energy for life or anything else.
Is the grass greener?
What is wrong with me?
Is it envy?  I look at the people around me. There are some who are amazed at the fact that I can bust out a half marathon on a whim and come in at a respectable time.  I easily forget about that.  Instead, I look at the people that I associate with that regularly whoop my butt in running races and tris.  Somehow, your idea of what is "normal" becomes skewed....
But then I remember that the person that I covet in those same races might not have something that I do.  A wonderful partner?  A good job?  The ability to cook? Who knows?  Maybe he or she thinks I have the charmed life.  Funny how you look at things.
And then, lest I forget the person who looks at me and goes, "Wow, I would give anything to do an Ironman.  How do you even DO IT?" And remember that they have something that I wish I had, too...whether it be a brother or sister, a bunch of kids, or a sense of fashion (hey now, don't make fun of me.  I've been a tomboy my whole life!)
And thus, the cycle repeats itself. 
The grass is always greener.  But how do we manage to forget that while we might be envying the green grass, someone else is envying our daffodils?
Good question.
And I'm working on it.

District 11...#winning.
 I'm also willing to bet that the bourgeoisie might have secretly coveted the proletariat somewhat.  I mean, really, do you suppose the teenage girls at the Capitol had not one, but two hot guys chasing after them?  Nah, I bet not.  In all seriousness though, I bet they envied the love that those families had...the sharing....the individual strength.
And somehow, this all traces back to my favorite saying...."It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
Deep breath.  Time to get back to wanting what I've got.
Glad I got that off my chest....thanks for listening.  And have a wonderful weekend...with the life you've got.  Look around you....what are you grateful for that somehow, amidst the bustle of life, you've taken for granted or forgotten about?
Take a minute.  Remember how much you really do have.  And then go out and kick some butt to grab onto the next brass ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment