Saturday, March 24, 2012

Winning Friends with Fruitcake

So....we got new neighbors.  Our security guard/weekend watcher/king of the neighborhood Vinnie and the fam moved along to Victor to accommodate their expanded family and left us.  Boo.  But then again, we're not the new kid on the block anymore, so the hubster and I have been playing the Kravitz's all week to catch a glimpse of these new guys....
"Rae, get away from the window".
"Aww...Greeeeggggg...I think I saw the garage move on it's own!"
Kidding.  He's been worse than I have.  I swear.
After a few days of this, with the weekend approaching, I decided it was time to greet the neighbors....with a fruitcake.
Unlike an 80 year old woman, I made it taste good :-)

In the Tropics (cup)cakes!
One Box Pineapple cake mix
one large egg
greek yogurt, plain
1 tsp.coconut extract
1 cup crushed pineapple
Powdered sugar, for dusting 

Mix all ingredients except the powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.  Do NOT add oil, water, or anything else...trust me, the 'cakes won't need it :-)  Spray a 12 cup Muffin pan with cooking spray, fill each cup 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly brown (you can test the cake for doneness by sticking the tip of a clean knife through, if it comes out without any batter on it, it's a done 'cake!)
 Let the cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes, then pop em out of the pan and onto a wire rack for at least an hour.  Dust with powdered sugar. 
Yummy.  I actually had enough batter leftover to make an additional cupcake...so, ya know, we could make sure they were "okay to serve".  I thought they were.  The hubster disagreed and strongly suggested I leave the remaining 12 with him.
I won.
How else am I supposed to spy on these new neighbors if I don't ply 'em up with baked goods first?
I hope they're our age.
And runners.
Or triathletes.
But not faster than me.
And they let us use their hot tub.
And like dogs and cats.
And work in the city...so ya know, maybe we can commute.
The hubster says my expectations are too high.
Ehhh....I like to shoot high :-)

At least I didn't serve fruitcake.  (Oh, FYI, if you're into those things, each cake has 150 calories and is 4 WW points.)

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment