Saturday, March 17, 2012

The nose knows

Ahhh, we had such a great time running this morning!  Yep, my nose and me :-).  
I kinda knew a PR would be a long shot this morning with my good ole sinus infection, but, hey, you can't win em all, right?  Let's just say it was an interesting race. And I feel bad for anyone behind me cause man, those snot rockets were flying.  Oh, I'm sorry, was that TMI? :-)
Back to the beginning. The day was gorgeous.  2500 of my best friends and I (yep, that's 800 more than last year) trouped out to the War Memorial to kick off racing season 2012.  I was decked out in my RATS gear, with the obligatory green nonsense attached to my head for luck.  Too bad I can't really create magic with those 4 leaf clovers :-)  My legs felt great.  My lungs...not.  My nose...even worse. Hey, who needs to breath when they run?  Pffft. And off we went!
Aside from the expected logjam of 2500 runners going for it (it took about 30 seconds to cross the start and I was toward the front!) I settled into an even rhythm.  Mile 1-7:54.  Mile 2:  15:50.  Sweet.  Then all hell...or snot...broke loose.  The one downside of the nice weather?  No gloves or sleeves!  (Which, if you're a runner, you know what I mean :-P).  I started stopping every 5 minutes or so to blow snot rockets and get some air into my lungs.  Hit the turnaround in 20:32-no way was I getting near my PR (37:36) or even a sub 40, I knew, so I just ran with it (heh.)  Annoying, because my legs were ready to go, but one usually finds it helpful to be able to breathe while running, no?  
I guess I ask for too much :-)  Mile 3-25:15. At this point I hooked up with my friend Kim, who runs about the same pace I do normally, but I couldn't hold her.  I started running for one song (about 4 minutes) then stopping for 20-30 seconds just to breathe (at this point, it was all mouth breathing.  If someone could have cut my nose off,I would have done much better.  lol)  Mile 4- 33:15.  The last mile of this race is pretty much downhill, so I hit over the last "hill" (Ford St Bridge) and aimed to bring it home under 42-which I just barely did-41:51.
Hey, win some, lose some.  I would call running a race on a beautiful 60 degree day winning, wouldn't you?
The hubster thought so.  He bought me some flowers to celebrate the fact that I'm an idiot trooper.
What a keeper!
Time for this party animal to crash and try to get rid of this mess.  I'm such an old lady.  But if I'm old...well, we won't say what the hubster is.  He's been passed out for 2 hours :-)  we're such a crazy couple.
What are you up to tonight?  Any wild parties?  Or is the party in your living room with a green beer instead?







1 comment:

  1. hope your eve was great enjoy 83 Thursday....Amy

    ReplyDelete