Friday, March 16, 2012

Book review: The Hunger Games

Whew!  Spring has sprung in Western New York, and it figures...I'm a sick guy.  I've been fighting this messy sinus/allergy/cold thing for the last few weeks, and yesterday, it hit big time.  Needless to say, I spent most of the day in bed, eating jello, yogurt and drinking lemon tea...while burning up the battery of my kindle reading "Unbroken" (awesome book) and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" (only halfway through-the writing style is messing with me, but I'm working through it!)
I'm somewhat back and alive today, though still a bit under the weather.  Hopefully, I can law low and kick this thing-first run of the year is up tomorrow!  I want some fast running....not snot spewing...racing!
Enough of that gross stuff. Let's talk about books.
Okay....fine fine fine.  JUST for Drew and Alexa-I did it.  I finally finished all 3 books (okay, less than a week after I started book 1.  pfft.)  Which books?  The Hunger Games, of course.  I'm a little behind on the times-the books came out last year, but I had no luck finding them at the library because they were so wildly popular.  But I got lucky enough to get them for my kindle, so I've spend the last week plowing through them.  So addictive.
Let me 'splain.  The trilogy is made up of (no kidding) three books: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay.  The books follow the life of Katniss Everdeen, a teenage girl who is living in a modern day dystopia comprised of 12 districts and a Hitler/big brother esque regime under "the capitol".  Every year, two people from each distrcit must participate in the "Hunger Games" a fight to the death winner take all between the 24 participants.  Bottom line- weathy people in charge getting enjoyment out of dog fighting, but with people instead.  The socioecomics of the twelve districts are varied, but most of them are severely lacking in food and other resources. 
Book one-who will win the Hunger Games?  (I'll give you a hint.  It's a 3 parter and our heroine is one of the contenders.  Hmmm.).
Book two (Catching Fire) : What happens post Hunger Games?  How will the Capitol react to what happens in the Hunger Games?
Book three (Mockingjay):  How will the districts fare when they go head to head with the Capitol?
Of course, intertwined with all of the struggles in the book is the obligatory love triangle between our heroine and the boy next store (Gale) and the selected counterpart champion from her district (Peeta).  Who will she choose? What will happen?  Will they both survive?


No team Gale or Teem Peeta, please.  Let's move beyond Twilight.
Overall, I would highly recommend these books. They aren't rocket science, and, as usual, the second and third books aren't as good as the first (I have this issue with sequels...although these did very well, they never match up to the original!) but the whole series flowed rather well and was interesting, fast moving, and completely sucks  you in (evidence in the third book, which I stayed up until 3am one night just to finish it!).  I would say it's a good cross between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter...most definitely better than the Twilight series!
And, of course, the movie comes out in two weeks....so, get reading, people!  (I always think it's better to read the book first, then see how the movie stacks up.)
Two thumbs up!  Get your reading in-and have a great weekend!  If you're in New York, enjoy the beautiful sunshine, it's supposed to be gorgeous out! 
Tomorrow= Johnny's 5 miler.  Are you running?  It's the kick off for Rochester's running season 2012-hopefully this damned sinus infection that I was just diagnosed with doesn't mess with me too bad :-P  I don't feel like I'm in PR shape, but hopefully I can nose in under 40 minutes :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment