Friday, March 9, 2012

Marinara-thon

Ahhh, Friday.  I love you so much.  Why does it take 4 long workdays to get to you?  Oh well.  C'est la vie.  On tap-a gorgeous weekend!  What do you have planned (besides losing an hour of sleep?  Boo.)  The hubster and I have a family thing tomorrow, then Sunday is full of spring prep...hopefully it really will be 60 and I can air out our house-love opening the windows for the first time each spring!  I know, I'm a wild woman.
Well, with spring upon us (I hope!) it's time to talk about running.  Again.  The whole balance thing, right? :-)  As the weather gets warmer, I get more amped to be outside-sans gloves, ear covers and full length rights-woot!  Kinda helps with that whole motivation thing when you throw on capris, a tee, shoes and GO, rather than layering up!  Perfect running temps= 40 degrees to 70 degrees and both weekend days look to be promising!
I've got a 12 miler on deck tomorrow...which means I should fuel up with some pasta tonight, right?
One small problem.  I'm not a pasta person.  (I know mom, I'm Italian.  I apologize).
So...what to go underneath the homemade marinara?  Spaghetti Squash?  Been there, done that.  It's good.
Anything else?
Why yes-this little gem.  Now, I'm a big hungry girl fan.  Pooh pooh it, go ahead.  I know, it's not always "real food".  But it tastes good.  And most of the recipes are volumetrics friendly and hey...I like to eat.  I'm pretty sure there's no emotional f*ed upness....food tastes good.  Ya with me?  Read on.... 

So Easy Marinara n Slaw
Sauce:
One 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
Chili Pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
2 oz. tomato paste
1 small onion, minced
Dried Parsley (1 tsp)
Dried Oregano (1 tsp.)
Base:
4 cups broccoli slaw
1 serving turkey pepperoni
Topper:
2 tsp Parmesan cheese

Yep, this is one of those-do I really have to write it down? recipes!  Perfect for a weeknight.  For the sauce, combine all and simmer on the stove for 30 minutes.  Add a bit of water to another pan along with the slaw and simmer until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Plate the slaw, pour on about a cup and a half of sauce (total yield of the sauce is about 3 cups) and sprinkle on the pepperoni.  Add a dash of cheese and go to town!
Perfection.  Half the recipe (shown above)
has a whopping 175 calories.
So I did what any normal human being would do....
I ate it all. 
With a side of fresh out of the oven Italian bread.
 You didn't think I would forget those carbs, did you?  Yum yum yum.
Are you a pasta person?  Or, like me, do you seek out alternatives?  (Just to be clear, I do like rice, potatoes, oats, millet, quinoa and plenty of other grains....just no pisghetti for this girl!)

No comments:

Post a Comment