Friday, March 2, 2012

Sitting and Weighting

Well, my calendar says Friday....so I guess it is!  Quite frankly, this week has been so messed up with travelling that I'm not quite sure what day it is.  One thing i DO know...I'm always ready for a weekend!  Any interesting plans?  After my whirlwind through the country last weekend, I'm staying put for the next two days.  Just me, the huz, our workouts, and jammies.  Oh, and plenty of couch time. 
Which brings me to my thoughts for the day.  Over the past few months, I've been trying to "watch it" in terms of food (failed at that over the past few days, but back on track after my travels!) and to be diligent with my pre-season training plan-logging an hour a day cardio and weights 3 days a week.  I've also been doing about 90 minutes on the weekends-a 30 mile ride or 10-11 mile run.
I'm not fat.  Just trying to lose the post Ironman 7 pound gain, and, to be shallow and real with you, look decent in a bikini come April.
I lost 2 pounds initially, then plateaued.  Hmm.  I tracked my food religiously, worked out every day, and with the exception of a few cheat days and some late night munchies (hey, I'm human), felt I was doing pretty well.
So why....was I not losing?
Then, a few weeks ago, I stumbled across an article on active.com about "sedentary athletes".  Apparently, even though I'm a baller when it comes to working out, my desk job still bites me in the butt (literally).  Did you know that the average American sits for 9.3 hours a day?  At first that seemed ridiculously high for me, but then I realized that for 7 hours a day, I'm at a computer.  Then, I have an hour commute.  Then, I watch about an hour of TV at night.  There's your 9 hours.  Doh.
So, even though I workout for an hour a day, I am still "sitting and weighting".  Lame.  And, of course, that measly hour or 90 minutes isn't enough to counteract the other 9 hours a day that I'm on my tush! So what to do about that? (Other than quit my job...I kid, I kid!)
Well, for one, I busted out the ole pedometer.  Tried to rack up the steps.  The first day I wore it, I netted 4,100 steps.  (To be fair, it was a lazy weekend day.  I don't have kids.  No judgements here, people :-P)
Source
So, I kept at it.  I'm pretty good at getting up every hour at work to fax something, talk to someone, or refill my water, but I made an effort to pace while on the phone...get up every half hour...and to take the stairs instead of the elevator.  I also made an effort to get in a relaxing, but active, half hour of movement after dinner (helps mindless eating!)  The hubster and I played Wii.  I walked on the treadmill (while watching DVRed episodes of the Bachelor and cursing a blue stream).  I did yoga.
Two weeks later, I was up to 10,000-11,000 steps a day, a hour of cardio, and a half hour of "NEAT". (taking the stairs, clocking extra housework, etc etc) and, down another pound.
Keep on keeping on.  4.5 pounds to go to get back to Placid weight...I think I can, I think I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment