Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I stop when I'm done.

This morning = 18 degrees.  Tomorrow = 60 degrees.  So, of course, I have a tempo run on deck TODAY, right?  No problem-we'll switch it out to tomorrow and do some speed work on the 'mill instead!
Source
 ...coming right up!  Man, that hurt. 

The Workout
warm up 1 mile (6.7)
5 x 400 @ 6:58, 1' recovery jog
1 mile cool down (6.7)
= 4 miles (34:06)
Truth?  I almost didn't make it there.  I was tired.  I had a bit too late of a snack and my tummy was a bit off.  I forgot my socks (Bless you, Karen, for saving me...I owe you).  I just...didn't wanna.
But I did it anyways.
And even though it hurt, now I feel accomplished.
I felt the same way this weekend....with an 8 mile run on tap...which, (slap me, I know) really isn't too far for me, but is still a good hour and change of running and....it was cold.  I was sleepy.  I switched to decaf, and was missing that pick me up.Name your excuse.

Source
But then....nine times out of ten (and two out of two in the last 48 hours) I lace up.  I head out for the road (or the piece of gym equipment).  And I go.  And inevitably, the first 5 minutes suck.  (which is why they made mp3 players capable of programming playlists IMO....my first song on my player right now?  LMFAO's "Shots".  No judging.  It's lame.  But it's a beat that makes you wanna move....and...the lyrics are oh so complicated!)  After that first half mile or so, though, my spirits lift.  I ease into a pace.  On the road, I see other runners who wave and I wave back, a silent understanding and smile that this....is life.  Our lungs may burn.  That hill may grow a little longer each time (I swear, sometimes it does!)  We may trade fast and not so fast days....easy and not so easy miles....but at the end of the workout, head cleared, face flushed, and muscles worked...we have accomplished something. Our bodies were meant to move.  They might not always be ready for a quick start...sometimes you have to prime the engine with a little mental fortitude.  But, even when I set the 5 minute rule into action when I REALLY don't wanna run....I still run (okay, once, in 5 years, have I called uncle.  But, to my credit, I had gotten hit by a car less than a week earlier.  I'm a freak).
The point.  Sorry, I'm getting to it.  The point is....just do it.  5 minutes. And, almost all the time....it works.  I have never regretted a run, but I surely have regretted not lacing up.  Of dodging the run and hitting up the bike or pool instead (when I'm not injured...just being lazy).  And I can't for the life of my figure out why, when I love to run so darn much.  Really, out of the 3 disciplines, it's my favorite.  But, I think the fact that it requires the most effort has something to do with it?  Not sure.  But, from now on, I pledge to remember how mile 2 feels, instead of mile 1. 
And those are my random thoughts of the day, friends.  Does this ring true with anyone else?  Do you have a passion that takes a bit of talking yourself into or do you just dive in (or sprint out of the gates) head first?

2 comments:

  1. I run to "Shots" too! I am not proud of it ... but it has a great beat for pounding the pavement. I only wish my 2-year-old daughter didn't sing along while I run, I don't know how to explain that when she starts singing it at preschool ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL....guess we need a clean version, huh? Google "I'm Elmo and I know it" for a good laugh!!

      Delete