Monday, March 19, 2012

The Babe with the Power

It seems as if the population of Western New York is split in two.
Those that enjoyed the sunshine over the weekend....got outside, washed their cars, went for bike rides....
And those that spent the majority of the weekend surrounded by tissues, bad movies, and books/magazines/ereaders.
Which camp were you in?'
Clearly, I was in camp #2.  The weekend consisted of saline spray, snot rockets, my kindle, whining, and bad movies.  Aren't you jealous?  Oh there was green involved too.  But it wasn't beer.  We're just gonna leave it at that!
Sinus infections blow, literally.  Amidst my love affair with the Kleenex box, I managed to get through 3 movies and 2 books...not bad for 48 hours.
The books: 
"Unbroken" By Laura Hillenbrand. (Better known for "Seabiscuit")  I randomly picked this book from the NY Times best seller list because it featured the life of a runner-Louie Zamperini.  I'm not usually one for war stories, but this book sucked you right in.  Incredible.  And disturbing.  Hillenbrand goes into extreme detail over the POW experience in Japan during World War Two...it's heartbreaking, but extremely well written.
 "The Pact" by Jodi Picoult.  Somehow I missed this book in my quest for her books a few years ago-once again, a total heart breaker-about love between two young people, how far you are willing to go for love, and the chasm between generations. 
Hmmm....maybe it was my book choices that made the weekend a bit dark?  No worries.  I made up for it with movies.
The Labyrinth-for the millionth time.  David Bowie in tight pants.  Yum.  Just a note....did anyone else notice that when they talk to "Hoggle", both David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly's character refer to him as "Hogwart"?  Early Harry Potter inspiration??  No?  You were too busy staring at David Bowie's pants? Well,I can't say that I blame you.  Moving on....
Arachnophobia.  Oh man.  Did that movie really used to scare me when I was a kid?  And how did I miss that they referenced "triathlon"back in 1991?  Impressive!
Source
Lake Placid. Clearly, I was on a late '80s early '90s kick!  I've been meaning to watch this movie since IMLP floated into my mind a few years back, but had no intention of doing so until I was sure I was done swimming in Mirror Lake.  Yes, I know Mirror Lake is not Lake Placid. I know the movie was not even filmed there. And I know that there is no such thing as ginormous man eating crocodile infestations in upstate New York.  But I do know....that you never say never.  And that Betty White is still kickin'...and completely unpredictable.  And that was good enough for me to wait.  So there.

Phew!  How's that for loafing around for 2 days?  No impressive eats....nothing smells good. Of course, you know that means I'm not starving myself....but who wants to look at canned soup?  Meh. Not me. 
Back in action Monday....I'm about 50% better, which means I took my Bowie-inspiration to the pool for some interval sets....that's right, I'm the babe with the power :-)  Or something like that....my 400 swim test time is 23 seconds slower than in September....that can't be good.  Clearly, long slow swims in the off season make you just that....a slow swimmer.  I gots some work to do in the next 17 weeks...

How was your weekend?  Drink any green? Play in any green?  Win any green?  (I take donations if the latter applies!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment