Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Whatever you do, Keep Moving!

Back to the grind :-D  Even though it's "Monday" in terms of work week, there's something comforting about knowing that it's only a 4 day stretch this week instead of 5.  Yay!

On the training front, this week is a bit of an "easier" volume week for me.  Even though I'm training through Keuka (in lieu of doing a taper, which I do for my A races), I'm going to try to get the bigger volume stuff out of the way early on in the week to have fresh legs for Sunday. 
(A quick FYI to my non running friends-an A race is something I build my calendar around and train specifically for-like The National Marathon,  Musselman and Chesapeakeman-the rest of my races in 2011 are done to prep for these races and in general, just for fun-but I don't set up specific training plans for them). 

Anyhow, Keuka is a "B" race for me....one I would like to do well in, of course, but not a main race.
However, this year, Keuka and I have a little bit of a feud to settle.  The hubster and I have been doing this race since 2007, and in 2008 I started doing the Olympic Race (.9 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 10k run).  In 2008, I separated my shoulder 4 weeks before the race due to being hit by a car (and got a new bike 2 days before the race, lol)-and I had no business racing. What can I say, I'm an idiot determined. In 2009, I was super sick the week before the tri and not on my A game....in 2010 I raced the bike portion with my rear brakes rubbing my wheel the whole time (totally my fault for not getting off my bike of course!).  So....for 3 years I have had serious difficulties with this damn race, and I have a may-jah score to settle with it!  I know anything can happen on race day, but me and Keuka need to make up on at least the bike course in 2011 -game ON!!
Today on tap was a technical swim with descending intervals-awesome for increasing swim speed-and workout 2 is either strength or a hill workout for biking depending on weather and how my leggies feel.  Bring it!

Today, especially, I feel the spirit of triathlon-one of my idols, Rutger Beke, announced his retirement.  Rutger Beke is a pro triathlete from Belgium and has been rockin' out the sport professionally since 2003.  He's podiumed at Kona (world champs) and also won a few Ironmans. 
Impressive.

Source

However, that's not why I love this man.  To me, Rutger Beke embodies the best parts of what triathlon is.  In 2006, Beke came in 4th in Kona, HI.  In 2007, in the same race, he blew up on the bike and couldn't run anymore after mile 10.  Most pro's would have dropped.  Not Beke.  He walked the last 16 miles of that race.  Now, he still finished in 11 hours and change (which is just unbelievable to me!) but most people would have quit. That, to me, is AMAZING.  ON top of which, the next year, in 2008, Beke came back to claim third in Kona.  Amazing.  Just amazing. 
This is also how I try to live my triathlon racing.  Martin Luther King originally said it, but I do my best to live by it: 
"If you can't fly, then run.
If you can't run, then walk.
If you can't walk, then crawl.
But whatever you do, keep moving"
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

And I enjoy every second of it. You go, Rutger.  Thank you for not only giving this sport your talent, but also your humanity and willingness to GO, no matter how fast or far.

Happy Tuesday, friends.  I hope you have an amazing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment