Saturday, May 14, 2011

Play like a kid

Today I was reminded of reason number 473 why I love this sport....The Gananda Youth Triathlon made it's second appearance today, and with it, my little 9 year old neighbor was introduced to triathlon. 
We spent some time this past week talking about the race and did some practice (including a brick yesterday!) and today she set off for her first tri-a 50 yard swim, 2 mile bike and .5 mile run.  The doorbell rang at 9am this morning...
 And our excited triathlete walked through the door!  We hung out for a bit, then headed down for her 10am start. 
What a spiffy set up!  The guys at score this really out did themselves...there were timing mats, announcers, and volunteers galore.
Since the swim was in the pool, we waited around for Jae's group to get started (2nd to 4th grade). 
Before we knew it, she was off!!
Check out the athlete in action.....
Finished with the swim!

Transition...Jae's bike ready to go!

Talking in transition....ready to bike!!

Piece of cake....let's run!

Sprinting it out to the end!!!

check out that form-I'm jealous!!    
She really tore it up, finishing in just over 21 minutes and coming in the top half of her age group.  GO JAE!!!
The hubster and I had a blast cheering on all the kiddos (they had quite a turn out!)  Then trekked home to do our own playing :-)

On the books:  triple brick-15 mile ride, 2 mile run (x3).  Due to the advancing clouds and thunder, I switched it up and did a 25 mile bike, 5k run, then 20 mile bike, 5k run.  My left knee started acting a bit wonky toward the end, but overall a good play session!!

Tonight's goals-pizza, popcorn, icing and a movie.  Oh, and the hubster's all dudded up in his HOTT compression tights.  What are you talking about, USAT? :-D

Have a great night!

1 comment:

  1. I am jealous of Jae, I didn't get started into the sport until I was in my 20's. My 9 year old niece is in Oklahoma and thinking on doing her first tri soon (on her daddy's influence, not mine). I love stories about kids following in their parent's footsteps. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete