Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When the going gets tough....

The tough toughen up!!!

Oiy, what a day!!
Since I didn't do my long run yesterday, I needed to run today!  I decided it was a good day to do some speedwork.  On the schedule:  3x1 mile repeats at a 7:30 pace.  I eagerly packed my bag early this morning to git'r done during lunch....and walked into a crap storm at work.  Seriously,  all I can say is that in this day and age, having job security is a GOOD thing.  Why do I take days off???  I walk back into such a mess after even taking one day off that it takes most of the morning to just dig myself out!  I broke for lunch at 12:30 and made a beeline to the gym (yes, this is me...Ms. Anti speedwork, excited for the treadmill).  Upon arriving at the gym, I realized I forgot my headphones (ok, Rae, HTFU), and my underwear.  crap.  no built ins in my tights, either.  Well, I just went ahead and put on my (imaginary) big girl panties and did that speed workout anyways.  And ya know what?  I killed it!
Workout Stats
Time: 38:36
Distance: 4.5 miles, as warmup (8:30 pace), 3 x 1600 repeats at 7:30 pace, cooldown.

A workout like that deserves a nice, healthy treat for dinner, so I decided to whip up a greek inspired side dish!

Terribly Easy Tabbouli

 You need:

* 1/3 cup, uncooked bulgur
* Frozen (or fresh broccoli)
* fresh tomato
* lemon
* spices (I like parsley and basil)

 Step 1:

Cover bulgur with hot water.  Let soak for an hour or two (grain will soak up water without being cooked.

Bulgur after soaking for two hours --------->


Step 2:
Place bulgur into a container.  Squeeze fresh lemon into bulgur (I used about a half of a lemon), add spices.
 Step 3:
Chop up broccoli (defrost if frozen)-I used 1 cup, but you can use more!, chop up tomato, mix with bulgur.
 Step 4:
Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to "marinate" the flavors together.

Serve cold, or warm for 2-3 minutes in the microwave.

Yummy!!  I served alongside a turkey cutlet and some cranberry sauce.  The perfect dinner after a nice, hard workout :-)

Now its time to go take care of my post op root canal hubby and bake some cookies for my Girls on the Run fundraiser tomorrow!!

Night friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment