Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lucky 13 (and change)

Today I set out for the very best of and the very worst of marathon training....the long run!  The best:  its relaxed, gorgeous if its a nice day out, "EZ" paced, and you feel accomplished when its done.  The worst:  its LONG, your legs hurt, it's f*ing cold out (or HOT) and if you do it outside (because really, no one can be sadistic enough to do a 2+ hour run on the treadmill unless its a NECESSITY) you run the risk of getting hit.  Twice.  But Ill get into that.



So I set out, stupidly on my 14 mile run today, a firm 100% increase in my last "long run" and the longest Ive run since....ok, since Ironman.  Mary, shush.  I KNOW.  And all things considered, it went pretty well!  I did learn a few things:

1.  a pair of tights is not a sufficient bottom "layer" when its 20 out.
2.  compression top, long sleeved tech shirt, and windbreaker are for the top.  score.
3.  doubling up on gloves is a necessity. (check)
4.  While toasted marshmallow and buttered popcorn jelly bellys are the perfect long run fuel in the summer (dont knock it till ya try it!)  they are, in fact, NOT in the winter.  The baggie busted and I lost 3/4 of my beans...and the rest were like rocks.  Boo).
5.  Most drivers are really stupid.  I knew this already, but its worth repeating when i almost got hit TWICE by people turning right and driving INTO the side of the road to do so without looking.  I had to hop in a ditch the second time to not get killed, which sucks when you just conquered Gananda's version of heartbreak hill.  I nearly slammed my fist on the cars hood or flipped him the bird, but he might have had a gun (You never know with rednecks.)  I had an mp3 player and some skull mittens= not a fair fight).
6..  80s music rocks.  Yes, I have "Maniac" on my playlist.  Dont judge.

All in all, I completed 13.38 miles (seeing as I couldnt really feel my feet after snow ditch hopping to avoid idiot #2, I called it a day.  I am more than fine with this.)

Workout stats:

Distance: 13.38 miles on hilly, snowy roads
Time: 1:59:47
Pace: 8:54

Yeah, I still need to work on my LSD.  Or maybe I just need some drugs :-P


Now its time to torture myself again use the stick, shower, stretch,  refuel, get a few things done around the house (like take the tree down.  Boo) and then its date night!!  What do you guys think-Chili's or Flinger's? :-)

3 comments:

  1. I am shakin' my head! I do not want to be talking you through an injury before chesy man!!!!! Slow down that long run ramp up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for Flinger's...it has Flare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it, i know. I really didnt even think about it till mile 10, then i realized how dumb I was being and immediately thought about how you would yell at me...ill be good, i promise :-)

    ReplyDelete