Monday, January 10, 2011

The Grocery Game!!

Welcome to Monday, friends!! As a first order of business, a recap of week 1 training for the marathon:

Miles Run: 25
Cross training: 1 bike ride, 1 rower sesh, 2 ellipical workouts, 2 cor, and UB/LB. Oh, and yoga :-)

Gotta take a day off this week (I am way to anal) and get in some more strength!!!

Today was a fun kind of day-due to the fact that my employment anniversary is in february, I need to use up my 3 personal days, so I decided that the next 3 Mondays to just extend my weekend. Its a rough life, I tell ya. I spent the morning working on Greg's Ironman training schedule (what, riding 90 miles won't work on Easter??), trying to work on my schedule (not really sure how to effectively train for all of my 2011 targets, but its a work in progress!) and then headed out to start week 2 of marathon training.

On deck...a 5 mile tempo run, done at 8:10 pace.

It was....frigid. Icy. Windy. brrr. How a loop course can invoke headwinds 90% of the time and no tailwinds, I dont know, but it did.

Whatev's. Ya know what? I DID IT. It sucked, I fell on the ice once, but I made it home safe and sound and frozen in one piece. I credit the sheep. Visions of mice and toaster cars are enough to keep anyone going.

Now, on to the best part of Monday-grocery shopping! No really. I love it. I clip coupons on Sundays, check my few websites to print them, write out my list based on our master grocery list, organized to the layout of Tops (yup, I'm insanely type A. I'm not sorry).

I then set out on Monday (usually after work) to see if I can beat my own game....how much can I save? Keep in mind, I only buy what we really eat, not random crap cause its on sale. Usually. I also do 95% of my shopping in one store....food, cat food, detergent, house stuff, etc. I buy a few things at weggies or Walmart, but its usually less than 10 dollars per week.

Here's this weeks haul:

A nice spread of beggies, fruit, cereal, soups (essential in the winter!) and a few treats. This will take care of breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and go with what we already have in the fridge and cupboards for dinners. The maalox and excedrin were such good deals and will come in handy as training progresses :-)

Any guesses as to what it came to? Its all from Tops....

I'll give you a hint. The pre-savings and coupon total was $91.


Boo Ya. I think I won my game :-)

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the headwinds. Some days you cannot count on a 50/50 head to tail even on a loop course! Sometimes too it feels like it is coming from 3 different directions. Must have been interesting reading that you ran a Half 48 hours earlier? You have some motivation!! Oh and BTW... if my wife even came close to what you do in a grocery store?? I guess I would have to let her request anything she wanted once a week!! Ha and don't think that it would necessarily be cozy time with me..More like a free night out with the girls.. LOL Nice shops!! You definitely won the game!

    ReplyDelete