Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Planning your race season

Hello Friends!!  Even though the holidays are over and its time to get "back to the grind", January, while depressing for some, is exciting in many ways for me.  First of all, all of those "New Years Resolutions" bring grocery stores to put all of the healthy food on sale (score one for my grocery bill!!)  ...even though I end up getting alot of rain checks (note  to the masses: greek yogurt is not your normal "dessert" yogurt-if you're not used to it, you won't like it.  So stop buying all of my nicely discounted Athenos and Yoplait greek so I can continue to get my weekly fix!!  Thank you very much :-)  Anyways....my very favorite part of the new year (no I do not make resolutions...i call them GOALS and we'll talk  about that later!)  Its time to race plan the season!!  YAY!!  Here's where I combine my athletic goals, bank account (which is never big enough), the hubby's goals, and any other obligations to then see what races I can do!  Of course, I'm far from Kona, but it never hurts to dream :-)  Now, I know its hard to think about summer racing when it looks like this in New York:


but it'll be nice again soon.  Hopefully :-)  After 2010, I have a few goals in mind.....I adored my experience at Ironman Lake Placid...but I think I can do better!!  So I've decided to follow Mary and do Cheasapeakman in September, which is a non Ironman branded IM race (translation-its still 140.6 miles, but much cheaper!!)  I also would like to run a speedier marathon, so I've settled on the National Marathon in DC in March, because I'll be in town for business and why not :-)  It'll also give me ample time between goals so as not to hurt myself (I hope!).  The third major race of my season is the Musselman half Ironman in July...a race that I've done twice, but sorely need to serve a little justice to the course.  Around these three "A"  races are a sprinking of smaller races, including the famed Sodus sprint race that started it all.  Lets just hope the water doesn't look  like this this year:



That was my first tri.  No joke.  They pulled 1/3 of the field out of the water that day and I doggy paddled it right on it.  I got hooked right there and then.  I'm a sicko, you can say it :-)

So there ya go-my season. Its in development right now on my 2011 Race Schedule. Its nothing crazy like my friend Alexa, who is doing two Ironman's, but hey, Ill take it!  Of course I have some goals for each race, but as my training progresses, I'll elaborate.  TRAINING??  Oh, right.  How in the world does one train for a marathon, have Ironman and Ironman in 6 months without a coach?  Well, it involves meshing three plans, constant revision, and a bit of creativity :-)   Last year I followed the Ironman plan from trigeeks.com, which was awesome for someone that is kinda poor and very motivated.  This year Ill probably start Ironman training with the same plan in March, cutting off my base, which Ill get on my won by mixing up marathon training, 2 bike rides a week (one speed and one distance) and 2-3 lunchtime swims focusing on recovery and drills/speedwork.  Oh yeah, and strength training!!  As the season develops, Ill switch entirely over to the plan, with a bit less running so I dont get injured like last year.  I know, I know....how can I fit it in?  Well, since my time machine is in the shop, its all about multi tasking and planning.  But we can talk about that tomorrow :-)

Todays Workout: cross training day!  20 minutes rowing (4000k), 20 minutes elliptical, and Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack on exercisetv.....not too shabby :-)

Ok, time to go foam roll and get some rest!! Night Friends!!

3 comments:

  1. I could use a foam roll... would that be an odd thing to put on the registry? Love ya much Cuz ans thanks for the prezzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foam rolling.. love it!!! Such an important step in training and missed out on by so many!!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Either foam rollering or using the stick are my JOBS after running! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete