Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mus(s)cles

Wow.  You guys are amazing.  Between comments, FB comments/messages, emails, texts and calls...I am blown away by your support.  Thank you so much :-)
As hard as this is for me, I've started to come 'round a bit.  Even though it makes me grumpy as all get out to know that I can't run....you know me.  I'm already revising my training plan to sub out the runs for swims and bikes.  Running is my strong sport...time to get faster at the other two!
Which leads me to my latest conundrum.....
Jeff Henderson, RD extraordinaire!
Musselman.  As I said yesterday, the doc gave me a big fat no for the Half-Iron (who knows if this will change in 4 weeks, but I'm guessing no, even with my optimism :-P).  So.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I emailed the race director (y'all know I think he's the best thing since sliced bread) and let him know of my injury, and asked if I could defer or do aqua bike.  I didn't want to push it, since I entered the contest t win and didn't pay for the race, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
He responded almost immediately, letting me know if I wanted to defer it was no problem, but I have to decide by Sunday.  If I decide to race, I can stay signed up for the Half, but just need to let the people know at packet pickup that I am planning to do the Aquabike.  Such a class act.  Did I mention how much I love this friggin race?
So.  My original thought was to defer to next year, because I want to do this effin race so badly.
But, now I'm not sure.
Reasons to Race:
1.  I won the contest this year.  My poem will be read pre race...twice.  If I defer until next year, it won't be as fun.  Plus, it'll be cool to get a shout out pre-race.  And I'm sure the RD would like it if his comped entrants actually, ya know, did the race.
2.  I'm weaker in the swim and bike.  I usually save myself for the run, and this would be a cool opportunity to lay it all out there on the table and give that damn bike course everything I have.
3.  I'm pretty fit now.  I can do 1.2 and 56.  Who knows what next year will bring?
4.  My awesome friend Solveig is aqua biking.  There's a good reason right there :-)
5.  I can train for the next 6 weeks on the bike and swim and get even stronger!

Reasons to Defer:
1.  I want to effin' do 70.3.  Not 57.2. 
2.  It seems strange to stop after the bike...sort of like I am DNFing.  But not really.  Weird.

Yup, that's it.  I'm gong to take the 5 days to decide, but what are your thoughts?  It seems the table is tipped toward the racing side, but my gut reaction was to defer, so I want to think it through.  Who's done an aqua bike?
And...that's my world today.  Resting , elevating, and contemplating.  At least there are some rainbows coming out after the rainstorm of Monday :-)  Can't complain there!

One last thing...as irony would have it, it's National Running Day!  I'll be getting my run on in the pool later, but in case you're still trying to fill out your 2012/2013 calendar, check out the Rock N Roll Marathon series website for $20 off your half/full marathon entry!  Should I sign up for RnR Arizona in January?  Mmmm...decisions :-P

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing an aquabike (half distance, Eagleman) on Sunday and will let you know how AWESOME it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say do the race! Better to celebrate what you can do. Also, I am probably going to run RnR AZ this January...you should come out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about the foot, but I agree with Amy - do the race! Especially because of your poem - that's just too awesome of an opportunity to miss.

    ReplyDelete