Sunday, June 17, 2012

Coffee Talk

Super Sunday time!  I rode 50 miles and blah blah blah.  You don't need to hear it.  Well, at least until tomorrow.  Today, I want to honor the Dads in my life, who just rock my socks off.  My father in law is playing in the Adirondacks, so the hubster and I spent the afternoon with my godfather.
We have a strange family (well, you knew that one).  I'm an only child who was raised by a single mom.  She got divorced before I was even born, so I don't know who my dad is.  However, her younger brother, my uncle, is my godfather-and has been my father figure ever since I was born.  So today was all about him.  My Uncle is one of my favorite people and I couldn't have asked for a better Dad (pay attention, people, and no 315 jokes, please). 
Why, you ask?  Well, off the top of my head....
*  He's been there my whole life.  Dance recitals, graduation, tri's, marathons, etc.  You got it.  He's stood around for 6 hours in the heat and the rain just to see me stagger across the finish line.  He drove 5 hours up and back to Placid to hang around all afternoon while I did my 140.6.  Exciting?  Nope.  But he's there.
*  He stands by me...no matter what.  He kept me sane during wedding madness.  He calls me out of the blue just to see what I'm up to and how I'm doing.  And whenever I call him needing therapy, he drops whatever he's doing and listens to me.  Sometimes her offers wisdom, sometimes he just let's me cry.  And the best part....he knows exactly when to offer each one.
*  He supports my decisions, even if he disagrees.  He'll ask me questions to get me to think about what might be right for me, but at the end of the day, whatever I decide is a-ok with him.
*  He reads the blog.  Every day.  And calls me when I don't post...just to yell at me for not entertaining him make sure I'm okay. :-)
*  He's really the best person I know.  I know no one's perfect, but I think he's pretty damn close.  He doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone, he's super religious, and can always find the best in a situation.  And ladies, he's single.  Why?  Probably too picky :-P
Ahh, I'm a lucky girl.
Not only to have the best god-dad out there, but also to have another important father figure in my life (I tried not to choke on my lemonade, because he acts like a teenager...but really, no.  I'm not kidding).  The hubster's Dad is, without a doubt, the best father in law I could ask for.  Hands down.  Why?  Well, this one ain't hard either....
* He totally accepts me into the family.  Always did.  No problem.  I strongly suspect it's because I can follow his insane sense of humor, but hey, it works.
* He let's me make fun of him, and often adds to the joke.  Wuss?  You betcha.  ballerina mug?  Why not.  Pants dance?  Okay, I still need to see this....
* He makes it fun (obviously).  I sort of feel bad for anyone trying to follow any conversation we have, especially when the hubster, Dad G. and I all get in on it.  I'm not sure what language we speak...it's not English, but it's friggin hilarous.

And so much more :-)  But hey, I gotta go....Dad's here.  Its time to grill out, enjoy some sunshine, and have a cup of coffee.  And talk about it.  Whatever "it" is...but Uncle Alan and I will figure something out.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Rae - it sure brought tears to my eyes. You are very fortunate to have Alan (as you obviously know) - many "real" dads would not be as attentive as he. And your FIL Dad G? Well, of course I'm partial, but two words I came up with today were caring and giving, like no one I've met. And a word I've voiced, tho not today: humble, to a fault. Yup. You're one blessed woman with those two dads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. And you've gotten to some of Dad G.'s best "serious" qualities-ones I often overlook, but very much know are there. We are lucky, aren't we! Glad you two had fun this weekend!!

      Delete