Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Summer...squashed

Hi there!  How's ya doin' in this beautiful summer day?  It seems as if the deluge in the past few days has made this the perfect Windows Open, Sunshiny non sticky goodness that I have sorely missed in good ole western NY.  No fear though, we're getting the heat back tomorrow.  Hmph.
There are worse things.  At least I haven't gotten a spoiler for the men's Olympic Triathlon coverage (yet).  Don't tell me!  It's the highlight of my evening :-P  The huz and I have a hot date planned tonight watching men in spandex.   Hmmm.  This does not bode well for tomorrow (What's tomorrow?  Oh, something with a "3" in it.....)
But, sticking with today....I took advantage of the wonderful summer weather by utilizing one of my favorite summer veggies for dins....squash.  Okay, zucchini.  But it's technically a summer squash, yes? 
I love zucchini to bits.  Zucchini oats, Zucchini pancakes, sauteed zucchini....yum yum yum.  But I've never tried it for a pasta swap.  Why?  No clue.  I know I'm the worst endurance athlete in the world for hating pasta, but I like the semblance of it....spaghetti squash = good.  Pasta = mushy and bad.  But sometimes, using spaghetti squash as a vehicle for yummy pasta sauce gets old.
Enter = Summer bounty of zucs:
Step 1:  Peel zucchini with a veggie peeler, stopping at the seeded part.
Zucchini "pasta":
Step 2:  Add 1/2 inch of water and zucchini (I used 2 big ones, which made one serving) to a pan.  Saute for about 5 minutes, until squash is "el dente"
Step 3:  drain water, add sauce and any type of seasoning (I used minced garlic and basil)
Step 4:  Plate.  Add cheese.  Broil for prettiness, nuke for a minute for meltiness (or if you're lazy).
Step 5:  Eat.  Enjoy a 10 minute dinner on a Tuesday :-P

Now, if you'll excuse me.  I must go watch me some Hunter and Manny.  They aren't exactly Macca or Raelert, but they'll do :-P  Enjoy your night!

No comments:

Post a Comment