Sunday, August 5, 2012

In need of a Little Magic

Ho-hum.  I'm having a day.  It's stormy out, humid, and windy.  I don't want to run.  I want to bike.  But my bike has decided that really...it doesn't want to be ridden anymore this year.  In an effort to fix the gears (for the eleventy billionth time), the derailleur hanger snapped, making the bike un-rideable.  No biggie, right?  Just order another one and pop it on.  Piece only costs $30.  But....they special made it for my bike.  And the stores aren't overflowing with 2008 QR Chiqilo hangers.  &*(^&^.  After a search of 5 local shops, we have one ordering it for us (hopefully) from the dealer tomorrow.  And (hopefully) coming in by Friday.  So they can install it by Saturday and I can have the bike for my race Sunday.
At this point, I don't even care.  I haven't mentally been in the game all year, and neither has my body.  And clearly, my bike is following suit.  I've blown money on this damn bike, the hubster has spent hours sweating and cursing at it, and so have 3 bike shops.
So now we're onto the priciest and snippiest bike shop in the area.  If they fix it before Friday, I'll take that back.  But the last thing I need to do is ruin another perfectly good race with a jacked up bike.
Plus, I really wanted t ride today.  My foot hurt, I'm sore, and if I wanted to run, it would have to be on the damn dreadmill in the basement.
Eff.
Which I did.  Cause I'm a dummy.  Or just hardheaded.
End rant.
Lest I bore you too much with my first world silly problems, I can always find the silver lining (even if I whine like a brat first :-P)  I've had two awesome people offer to lend me their bike for this weekend (which I might have to take one of them up on tomorrow, depending on the end date of getting my bike back!)  That's freaking awesome.  Imagine lending out a thousands of dollar piece of equipment to a friend just because you want them to be able to race.  I love my triathlete friends. One more mark to whats RIGHT in this world :-)
Secondly.....I have a little magic in my kitchen for dinner.   In the form of couscous.  Cause really...the best part of hosting an event is the leftovers, right?  (Well, the best day after part anyways :-P)  So I indulged in some awesome couscous salad, made by my godmother.  I didn't have to make it.  It's healthy.  And the taste is....positively magic.  Need I say more?

Fairy Godmother Couscous Salad
6 c. chicken stock
9 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp ginger, saffron, cinnamon
3 c couscous (uncooked)
3/4 c currants
3/4 c dates, chopped
2 1/4 c celery, chopped
1 c chopped scallions
1/2 c. parsley
2  tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. chopped walnuts

Boil stock, ginger, saffron and 6 tbsp olive oil.  Add couscous and boil until liquid begins to absorb.  Remove from heat.  Add dates and currants.  Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.  Add celery and scallions.  In a small bowl, mix parsley, lemon juice and remaining oil, salt and cinnamon.  Toss with couscous, breaking up lumps.  Add walnuts.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Serves 16 as a side dish.  

Also phenomenal when tossed with shredded chicken for a meal :-)

Ahhhh.  8.5 miles on the treadmill, DVRed women's marathon, magic couscous, and the promise of a shoulder massage.  Maybe the day isn't totally lost.

But my QR better watch out....we are still not on speaking terms :-P


1 comment:

  1. Yum - thx for the recipe, and the first hand taste! Sorry the bike woes continue, but what a couple of friends! A silver lining indeed.

    ReplyDelete