Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Going Green


Sour
Nah, it's not a post about saving the earth, though I do strongly encourage saving energy and recycling, too!  With the raging heat in the Northeast (dear god help me on Sunday) the grass and foliage around here is brown brown brown.  Yech.  Not my idea of pretty.  And while I am praying to the rain gods that we get a good soaking and it cools down our weather a bit for the weekend (I don't want much, do I?), I would like to see some pretty pretty green back in New York.  Thankyouverymuch.

Well, now, since I can't seem to get the green where I live outside, I decided to continue produce week with a lil green in the kitchen.  A word of forewarning...keep an open mind, please :-)  This might sound strange, but it's a nutritional powerhouse for breakfast and really does taste yummy.
I give you....
Green Goddess Oats

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
dash of cinnamon
1 cup milk (or water)
1 zucchini, shredded
1-2 tbsp. almonds, chopped
1 tbsp maple syrup, optional

Run the zucchini through the food processor to finely shred.  Combine with oats and cinnamon, add in milk.  Simmer over the stove for 5-10 minutes until thickened.  Pour into a Christmas bowl (cause you wish it was snowing out) and drizzle with maple syrup and almonds.  Breakfast.  Powerhouse.  It might look a lil' strange, having a big ole green bowl o oats, but it is super filling, has a great flavor, and right now, is the only way to get green in New York right now.  Yeesh.

Okey dokey, back to my rain dance.  Not too much activity though, it's taper time, remember? :-D  Toodoloo!


No comments:

Post a Comment