Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hold the Mayo

It's almost Friday!  Has this week seemed ridiculously long to anyone else?  It seems, to me at least, that the world is conspiring against the fact that Monday was a holiday by making each subsequent day a little more crazy.  It almost scares me to type that before Friday, but I'm a little wild like that, so we'll just knock on wood and see what tomorrow brings.

Source
Today, however, I would like to discuss the anti-food, mayonnaise.  Yup. It's big on my no f*ing way in hell foods.  Do not serve it to me.  Do not keep it in my house.  Do not even let me smell it, or you might regret it as our friendship goes to the "oops I just tossed my cookies on you level".  Savvy? 

Now that I have given you such a stunning visual to work with, let's talk about the crux of the problem.  Now that it's summer, all the side dishes in the world are made with this disgusting condiment.  Mac salad.  Potato salad.  Coleslaw. Yech.

So what's a girl to do?  Get busy in the kitchen!!

I give you TWO side dishes of love for the summer:


MMBQ coleslaw

The Goods:
One small head cabbage
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
Big Ole Squirt Dijon mustard
1 tbsp maple syrup.

Chop up the cabbage into teensy pieces, place in a big ole tupperware.  Add in your condiments, and shake 'em around.  Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge...(oops)...for a few hours.  Enjoy a cold beverage.  Pull out the tupperware, plate, enjoy!

and

Italian Tuna Veggie Delight


Whatcha Need:

Can o Tuna (I like it water packed)
A fresh tomato
A cuke
Zesty Italian dressing
Fresh Basil

Again....chop chop with the veggies.  Mix in the tuna, basil and dressing.  Toss to coat.  Let the flavors meld in the fridge, and eat it up!  (I often use this as a main dish....so good on a summer evening!)

So there ya go.  Two 5 minute, simple, healthy dishes for your summer BBQ or picnic.  Easy peasy.  Take that, mayo!

2 comments:

  1. We have Nayonnaise in our fridge for that vegan/GF kiddo of mine....Of course, alittle balsamic, EVOO, and dusting of brown sugar makes a perfect dressing for many things too!- Your cuz....Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both look awesome. My boyfriend HATES mayo so these would be perfect to make for him :)

    ReplyDelete