Tuesday, July 5, 2011

That's the plan, Stan

You know what's worse than a plain old Tuesday?  When it's Tuesday AND Monday.  Wowza.  Going back to work today was tough, let me tell you!  Not only was there a backlog of work from being off on Friday, but somehow it seems that the whole world is off this week, with the possible exception of my clients.  :-P  Go figure.  Turning the frown upside down, it made the day go by faster and kept me busy though, right?  On that note, today was a pretty big day at work.  Can't say much more, but keep them fingers crossed for me, pretty please?  Thanks!

After my weekend trip for beautiful bride, it's time to get back to reality.  Only 12 days (yup, count em, 12!) until Musselman!  This year is a bit different than the last few times I've done this race (in 08, it was my first, in 09 I nearly bit the dust)...I have an Ironman under my belt, which makes the half distance a little less daunting distance wise.  Now, truth be told, I am a Nervous Nellie about this race...not because I am afraid that I won't be able to do it, but because I want to do it WELL. 

The RD, Jeff.  Amazing guy!
What's "well"?  Of course, this is subjective.  My first crack at the half iron distance was a 6:36 in '08.  There  was a wicked thunderstorm on the bike and they almost canned the race, but overall, I considered it a legit first shot.  In '09, I was lucky to finish through sheer stupidity iron will.  At least that's what the race director called it.  I'll take it :-D  This year, I am gunning for a sub 6 with everything I have in me.  Of course, that is quite a leap, so next week I will be setting some process goals and a B and C goal.  Sub 6 sounds slow to some, and ridiculous to others, but it's my goal, and I'm going with it!  (Just to note for the non-triathletes, a half ironman is a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run.  Fun, huh?  I think so!!)

Yikes.  I put it out there.  So how did I prep for this race?  Well, I've been following a plan from http://www.trigeek.com/ for my Ironman and this race falls on week 26, so it's not a plan geared toward this race, but with a long run to date of 20 miles (not counting my marathon in March), a long bike of 90 miles,  and a long swim of 2.5 miles, I know I can handle the distance.  As far as speed, well, we'll see!! 


Source

The only fly in the ointment is that last week was a rest week from training (which was much needed due to the weekend!) and now I am on a 7 week build.  So what's a girl to do?  (Note that I am way too type A with my workouts and generally freak out if I miss one).

Well, I tossed it over and came up with a plan.  I combined the next two weeks, wrote out all 14 workouts, and am front loading for this week, so I can mini taper next week and go into the race strong!  It involves cutting out a 60-90 mile ride-hour run brick, but I figure that Musselman is close enough, done at race pace.  Cutting out that one workout will give me some time to chill the few days pre-race, so I can really fire up the rockets on race day!

We'll see how it all goes down, but it looks like I have quite a heavy bike week this week (almost 200 miles!) and a ridiculous amoutn of swimming to do.  Maybe a recap on Monday will be in good order :-D

Well, that's the extent of my thoughts of the day.  What am I still doing writing?  Clearly I need to go hop on my bike or jump in the pool (no multi-tasking on that one :-P)  Have a SUPER FANTASTIC day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment