Friday, July 8, 2011

The Little Engine that Could

Well, I should have held my tongue yesterday.  Note to self:  never ever label the week until it is officially over, or, if you're gonna do it, make it a positive label instead of a negative or crazy label!!

Source
Ok, time to test the theory-my workouts this week have been AWESOME!  (hear that long ride for tomorrow??)  Speaking of long, it's about that time in Ironman training for the long awaited.....100 miler!!!  Yup, tomorrow I have a 6 hour ride on tap, with a 6-8 mile run following the ride.  That's roughly a 9-5er folks, but I'll take it over work work any day!  (Wonder if I could just install a trainer and treadmill in my office....no?  Damn.) 
I know some of you think I'm a little crazy, but, let's face it, We're all a little mad in some way, no?
So....with the majority of Saturday spent on my bike, I need to fuel this lil engine o mine!  Last year at this time, upon my first 100 miler, I was filled with panic about spending 6 hours on the bike....could I make it?  (I think I can I think I can...I DID!)  butt how would I survive? What can one eat on the bike? 
After consulting with a few experienced centurions (kinda gives a new flavor to the word, no?) I found that there was a wide world of bike nutrition out there, ranging from the friend who used liquid nutrition and gels alone (not sure I could handle that hardcore of nutrition, plus it's mad expensive), my husband, who enjoys beef jerky and powerbars, or the guy friend with guts of steel who ate poptarts on the bike (wow).  Most triathletes use some sort of mixture, getting some calories from sports drink and gels or shot blocks, but mixing it up with some "real" solid food like pbj or a mid ride treat like a snickers bar (just watch out for those on a 90 degree day!
Last year, I sampled out the buffet while training for Ironman Lake Placid, using a range of food from granola/protein bars, gels, bananas, fig newtons, and jelly beans.  For liquid, I used a mixture of Ironman Perform, water and nuun tablets.  Seemed to work pretty well.  A few of my faves:

* Buttered popcorn jelly bellies.  Sounds weird, works great!
* Pure Protein Peanut Marshmallow Eclipse Bar (20g of protein, tastes like marshmallow fluffernutter.  yum)
* Raspberry Fig Newtons
* Hammer Gel:  Apple Cinnamon (McDonald's Apple Pie filling.  no joke)
* Pretzel braids (when the sweetness gets old)

Source
In other words, a veritable BUF-FET of goodness.  So, off to Wegmans I go to sock up on some goodies to keep my tummy happy and taste buds entertained for 6 hours :-)  For the run?  Gels.  I can handle that.  Or maybe popsicles, if it really is 90 degrees out like it's supposed to be.  Actually, according to Runner's World, it really works to have a Popsicle or slushy before a run in the heat.  Makes sense.  I wonder if Mr. Tastee would sell to a sweaty biker girl 5.5 hours in? 
Worth a shot :-)
How do you fuel long rides?  Or, if you are not a crazy long course triathlete, what type of popsicle do you prefer to cool off with?
Catch ya tomorrow after my ice bath!

2 comments:

  1. Dried fruit. I loooooooooooove it for longer rides (though for me, that's just like 40-50 miles). Mango and pineapple are the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. good call!! I bet apricots would be good, too. And 40-50 miles is reasonable-100 is ridiculous :-P Awesome tip for Flip turns on HTP, by the way!

    ReplyDelete