Thursday, April 7, 2011

Nerd Alert!!

Well, helloooo!!!

After a jam packed hump day,  this lil blogger needed a rest day, so I hope you enjoyed the break from my mindless chatter didn't miss me too much!

Onto Thursday.  I woke this morning to a wonderfully foggy road....conducive to a laid back day at home with a mug of micro cocoa (as we call hot chocolate at my casa) and a book.  But.....since we need to pay the bills, off to work I went. 
On my drive in (apparently Western New Yorkers don't know how to drive in FOG, are you kidding me?) Carl Sandburg's poem gave me pause and kept running through my head...



FOG
The Fog comes
On little cat feet

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.


Beautiful, no?  It put me in a calm place, and it's been a wonderful day since.  Sights like this remind me that life doesn't have to be a go go go all the time, and that we should pause to enjoy the beauty around us and even feel free to get lost into it a little bit.
Speaking of getting lost, this reminded me of another past time that I don't share often enough in the blog world-my passion for reading.  Yup, I was "that child" that read under the covers with a flashlight after bedtime, and devoured every book I could find.  Hey, it netted me a 760 on my verbal section of SATs, so it was good for something!!

Glaser Library...with our kitty :-)
As an adult, there is nothing better to me than getting lost in a good book with a warm drink and a snuggy snuggly blanket.  The hubster jokes that I devour books....he is right.  We even have out own library!! (Lest you think I am a bajillionaire, 99% of those books come from library book sales.  Hardcovers for a dollar?  SIGN ME UP!!)  Some of my favorite authors are James Patterson, John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Janet Evanovich (guilty pleasure, lol), Danielle Steel (guilty pleasure x2), Dan Brown, and so many more!  (Yes, I have read all of the Harry Potter books as well as the Twilight series....it doesn't take much to amuse me :-))  Favorite books lately include....

Newer Favorites
1.  The Steig Larrson Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy...awesome.
2.  "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  Can't wait to see the movie!
3.  "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert.  I did see the movie.  Sorry, Julia, I wish I hadn't.
4.  "Water for Elephants" by Sophia Gruen.  (Are you sensing a theme here?  I did read this awhile ago, but  reread it to prep for seeing Robert Pattinson on the big screen...swoon)

Old Favorites
1.  "The Little Prince" by Antoine de St. Exupery
2.  "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho
3.  "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The five People you Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom
4.  "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
5.  "The American Wife" by Curtis Sittenfield
6.  "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau. Introspective, deep, and can be read in small doses. love.
7.  "Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell.  The movie rocks,  The book was EVEN BETTER.
8.  "Harold and the Purple Crayon" by Crockett Johnson.  Suh a great childhood book
9.  " Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein.  Yet another one.  I still have this book on my shelf!

I could go on and on, but that's a little flavor.  Who are your favorite authors?  Any book recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment