Tuesday, April 5, 2011

&%IT Happens

Yup, as in ITBS, another colorful four letter word for us runners.  No, I don't have it, but I do have a history, and after my run on Sunday, I felt a familiar unwelcome twinge that leashes out a torrent of OTHER four letter words.  Anyways, I digress.  I'm not hurt...I'm not dead yet!

Wow.  I need help. 

So...I've been icing the past few days to keep any thoughts of injury away, and spending some time doing something I SHOULD be doing anyways but neglected during my marathon training....STRENGTH TRAINING!!  Specifically, core and high rep low weight upper body and lower body strength.


http://www.nataliedee.com/
 Usually, I rock the socks off of core.  I'm a big fan of http://www.exercisetv.tv for 10 minute workouts to git r done and change it up, but I also have a few go to moves for amazin' abs (yeah, I didn't stutter):

1.  planks.  they rule.  side planks, too.
2.  Oblique crunches with dumbbells.  Holy side hurts so good.
3.  The teaser.  Nothin' funny bout that.
4.  good ole fashioned sit ups.  Works the entire abdomidible section and other such goodies.
5.  Pilates single leg lowering crunches (yeah I just made that name up).

I also am decent about upper body strength training....usually while concentrating hard core at the gym watching Sex in the City Reruns on USA.  I find that I can accomplish alot with a set of 15 pounders and 20 minutes, no problem. 

But what about my lower body?
http://www.nataliedee.com/

Cause I got junk.....well, ya know. 

Seriously, though.  I've always relied on lunges and squats,  but I know that runners tend to be weaker in the hips...which can help cause ITBS.  (Well, that and the uber cambered roads of Wayne County, but lets focus on what we can change, yes?) 

So today I added to my arsenal some Lower Body goodness!!  I warmed up with a nice tempo bike ride, then got to work.  We lunged.  We squatted.  We dead lifted with my 40 pound she beast dumbbell.  Then, we got down to runner specifics:

1.  single legged squats:  20 each side
2.  single legged squats on the bosu (oooh killer!) 20 each side
3.  Adductor work (inner thigh lifts with ankle weights) 50 each side
4.  Abductor work (outer thigh lifts with ankle weights) 50 each side
5.  supermans!
6.  Outer thigh lifts on all fours

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Hey, thats how we do?  How do you keep your guns (and other 2000 parts) in fightin' shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment