Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sometimes, you can pick them: For my amazing Uncle

Yesterday was a special day around these parts-my amazing Uncle and best friend ( I have a few, not to worry, hubster :-)) had a birthday.  See, I'm a lucky girl.  Most kids don't get to pick their dad.  But since my Mom is divorced and I don't have contact with my bio dad, I am lucky enough to have a godfather that rocks my world and treats me just like his own kid.  In the ahem 29 years that Uncle Alan's been around  (we're the same age, imagine that!)  he's taught me more than I ever thought possible about life, love, and how to be happy with what you've got. 
So, without further adieu, I'd like to honor one of the  most special people in the world to me, and share with you a few golden truths I've learned from someone infinitely wise for their years and my role model.

From my Godfather, I've learned....

1.  Life doesn't hand you anything.  You have to go and get it.  And that means you'll appreciate it that much more because you've worked for it.
2.  Live simply.  Things are just "things".  And make sure you save a busk or two when you can.
3.  Take time out of your day to laugh...at the Sunday comics, at the world, at yourself.
4.   You never know when you'll hit the big one.  Keep trying, even if you don't think you're getting anywhere. 
5.  Be thankful for what you have.  Even if your job isn't what you want, at least it's helping you pay your bills.  Sometimes you have to work hard in life to get what you want.
6.  Along with number 5....be happy with what you DO have, instead of focusing on what's wrong with your life.  If you want what you have instead of always trying to have what you want, you will be so much happier.
7.  Protect the ones you love AKA....Don't mess with the Father of the Bride.  (He loves the hubster, he was just kidding :-P.....kinda.)
8.  Sometimes a cup of coffee and a long godfather/daughter chat is all the therapy you need (and it's much cheaper!)
9.  Have faith.  God never gives you more than you can handle.
10.  Eat your vegetables, drink your milk and get your protein.....but don't be afraid to go after the good stuff once in awhile, too.  After all, you only life once!

Happy Birthday Uncle, Godfather, and most of all friend.  I am such a lucky girl to have you in my life and I won't ever forget it!  Here's to another year and many many more memories :-D





No comments:

Post a Comment