Friday, October 14, 2011

Looting and Pillaging

And....summer is over.  Just in case you didn't get the memo here in western New York.  Today will fall back into the 50's, it's gonna be a rainy weekend, and there is a little birdie forecasting the white stuff on Thursday.  It's good to diversify, yes? :-)

Source
While I love our weather (jumping in puddles NEVER gets old in my book), I was kinda hoping for one more day of sunshine...tomorrow is the Hospice 10 miler in Greece, which is probably one of the most epic road races around here, for a few reasons.  First of all, it's a 5k championship race, so it pulls in a decent amount of local talent.  There also is a 10 mile option, which is a pretty rare race distance around here.  The race is super cheap ($18 for a shirt, the race, and food (more on that)), and it benefits Visiting Nurse Hospice, an offshoot which is very near and dear to the hubster and I.
Source
Out with it though...the real reason we run this race?  The looting and pillaging!  (I did not coin this "race name"-all credit goes to my friend James).  The post race feast for this baby is just plain ridiculous...pizza, pasta, soup, milk, coffee, Montana Mills/Great Harvest Bread, apple cider, and as many snacks as you can carry-the good organic stuff, nonetheless.  Seriously, you can stock your pantry for a week with what they give you after a race.  Ridiculous.  And last year I managed to place 3rd in my AG (44 seconds between 1st and 3rd place, what a race!) and got a gift certificate to a local running shop.  For 18 bucks, how do you beat that?
And tomorrow should be even more interesting, with 40-50 mph winds predicted.  Ohh the adventure racing I partake in!  My PR for this course is a 1:22....I don't plan to come even close to that tomorrow...it's all about having a good time.  The hubster, Brennan and James will all be braving the elements with me....hilarious pictures will ensue, no doubt :-)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!  On a final note....a few more blogworthy news sharing...

*  Buffalo Sabres first home game tonight-LET'S GO BUFFALO!  Looking forward to seeing how Pegula has influenced my favorite team (I'm predicting good things!)

* Trader Joe's is coming to Rochester!!  In 2012!  I'm super excited!  The hubster is scared.  I think he hid all our credit cards in anticipation desperation :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment