Sunday, October 9, 2011

Applelicious

Another gorgeous, sunny day here in upstate New York.  Love, love, LOVE!!  I feel like I missed out on summer thanks to Ironman training (not that I'm complaining AT ALL) so I'm pretty grateful that mother nature decided to give us a nice reprieve before the fall weather settles in.
The summer temps don't dissuade me from fall flavors, though!  And with the abundance of apples in the Northeast, I decided today was apple day!!  First up.....
Apple Pie Oats
 Not the prettiest dish ever, but pretty darn tasty :-)  Oatmeal base = 1/2 cup oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, a pinch of salt,  and 1 cup liquid (I use water, but many people swear by milk).  Add in a diced apple, a dash of honey, and some ground walnuts = fall in a bowl.  Yum.
Since the hubster prefers not to eat paste oats, I whipped up breakfast dish #2 for him.... 

Apple Pie Pancakes
Pretty easy peasy.  Combine 1/2 cup Bisquick, one egg, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup oats, one chopped apple, and a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Stir until mix is smooth, then let set for 5 minutes (the KEY to fluffy 'cakes!).  Pour 2 tbsp. batter onto a greased skillet, cook 2 minutes (or until bubbles form), flip.  Drizzle with honey, and EAT!
This recipe made 10 decent sized pancakes, enough for a manly man breakfast x2 (or so says the hubster).  I served the 'cakes alongside 2 turkey sausage for a hit o protein!
Perfect way to start the day.
Breakfast = fuel for a major houseclean, including carpet shampooing, window washing, and some outside work...as well as a long bike ride (well, long for post IM training!) and some family time :-D
PERFECT SUNDAY!
Now I'm off to make apple dish number 3 (stay tuned for the recipe tomorrow...but for a hint....it's a dessert that screams fall!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment