Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mussel Up

Hello friends!!  I am still trying to decide my future plans for 2011…I think I have them all figured out, but I’m still on the fence about a few things.  details forthcoming!

Today, I would like to talk about one of my favorite races.  (Well, aside from the nostalgia of Sodus, but that’s another story for another time!)  No, today starts my training for the best race ‘round these parts…..

MUSSELMAN.  Yup, you heard me right.  It’s a great play on words between “muscles” and the zebra MUSSELS in the finger lakes region, and is an awesome weekend of triathlon, and, in my opinion, a must do race for any triathlete in Western New York. 
http://www.musselmantri.com/
It includes a sprint triathlon,  a kid's race, and a half iron distance race.  I did the Half Ironman in 2008 (my first!), the DOUBLE MUSSELMAN in 2009 (sprint on Saturday, half Ironman on Sunday...yes, I am nuts), and am ready to rock and roll in 2011 for the half ironman again!!

So what makes this race so special?

Well, the terrain is beautiful.  Held in the heart of wine country in the finger lakes region of New York, the course starts out in Seneca Lake (and the canal basin, but we don't need to talk about that), a 56 mile bike ride through pastures, Amish farms, and gorgeous fields, and then a wonderful half marathon through downtown Geneva and ends with a nice jaunt by the lake. Gorgeous. 

However, what really stands out for me is the race director, Jeff Henderson.  In my opinion, Jeff represents everything that is right about triathlon.  He pays special attention to every detail of the weekend, and really cares about the athletes.  The race amenities are great, the preparation thorough, volunteer support amazing...I could go on and on.  Basically, I have a massive tri crush on this phenomenal guy (I say things like that alot, don't I....? :-D)  It's ok, the hubster gets it.  Sort of.

I am super amped about this years race.  It might not compare of '09, when I got a free wetsuit (yeah this guy rocks....ok...so I nearly drowned in the water and he was just impressed that I am that nuts dedicated enough to finish a race after playing in the medical tent for 45 minutes) but I have a great feeling about this year!!  My '08 race was plagued by thunderstorms (they almost cancelled), '09 by a bruised larynx in Seneca Lake (I can't make this stuff up) and I feel like 3rd time's the charm.

Yup, we have a new goal here at TFB.  Stay tuned as the season develops....so ready to stick to one training plan instead of two!!  Right now I am on week 11 of the trigeek.com Ironman training plan...I loosely set it to coincide with Chesman just in case (no spoiler alert, lol).

Have a wonderful Thursday, kids....it's snowing up here in new York, and I wish that was an early April Fool's joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment