Saturday, March 5, 2011

HONK if you ran 20!

 

Well, yes, yes I did, but that’s just part of the story!

So, even though it rained like a mother in upstate NY today, 20 was on my list of things to do, so off I went.  Even though it was damp and gloomy, it was almost 50 degrees, so I got to “test” my marathon gear out.  Shoes, check.  Capri tights, check. IMLP visor, check. I also tried out the GOTR shirt they sent me….super comfy tech shirt, but someone please tell me why anyone would make a shirt for a marathon in WHITE?  (I would post a pic, but this is a family blog.  Sorry).  So….need to find a bright sports bra I think so I don’t show my unmentionables at the finish line!  Thoughts?

IMG_0519

It’s actually bright pink, think it might look cool with my color scheme!  Unfortunately, Target only had XL and XXL.  Bummer.  Need to shop around Smile

So…the run.  I have to say for the most part, it went great!  I felt pretty awesome for the first 10 miles, took in my nutrition every 5 miles along with some propel (dried cranberries and fruit leather and a gu all together), my tummy was doing well thanks to this little secret.  (No, I don’t endorse these, but they are awesome insurance to have during a long run or long race.  See “The oikos 5 miler” for more details.  Or, better yet, just trust me on this one!)  I also credit my pre run brekkie of oats, naners, and pb.  Great combo.

I got a little tired miles 15-20, which is pretty normal, so I implemented a decent run/walk strategy and kept myself to the pace I wanted to hold.  Then I encountered my nemesis at mile 18.  Nope, it didn’t have 4 wheels this time.  Or even 2.  Or a motor. But it did honk….

GOOSE_bigger

WTF??  Yes, a friggin’ band of geese chased me down the road at mile 18.  Where’s a car to scare them away when you need one?  LOL  I think they were trying to help me finish strong.  Thanks, guys.  Even if you scared the bejeezus out of me!

But finish strong I did! Open-mouthed smile

The Workout

Distance: 20.09 miles

Time: 3:03:08

Pace: 9:07

Awesomesauce.  Now, if I can just hold that pace for another 10k, we are all set!  I feel a bit better knowing that the terrain I am running now is much hillier than the course, so now its time to taper (well, I have a 15 miler next week, but other than that) and get ready for the big day! 

After the run, I stretched, foam rolled, compression socked it up and then went out with the hubs for some well deserved grub.  We have a favorite restaurant in Penfield called Pattaya that serves up phenomenal thai food wicked fast and decently priced.  I got the ginger chicken, which is chicken breast,fresh veggies, fresh ginger and ginger sauce, and a side of brown rice.  IMG_0518

mmmmmm…amazing!  Yup, its all in my belly now, though I did use chopsticks to slow down.  Got my first test as a blogger when the waitress saw me snapping pictures of my food.  She thought I liked the pretty colors…well, I do, of course, but I told her that I write a blog and she thought that was pretty neat I was crazy, probably.  Hey, that’s how I roll!

Well, I would say it was a pretty honkin’ successful day.  And that’s all I got.  Have a wonderful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment