Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kick the can

Rough day here in upstate NY yesterday, thus the blogging hiatus Smile  Work was terrible, I had a migraine, finally rounded a corner mid afternoon to get a stellar ride in and 30 miles in and 7 minutes from ride end, I blew a flat.  I was NOT happy.  I nearly pulled a Stadler and just chucked my bike across the basement.
Today, I had a much better ride.  Not this good…
Rae
But good enough Smile  Soon, it will be time to ride in flower fields!  I can’t WAIT!!
As I was riding, I started daydreaming.  Probably not the best thing to do during a super technical ride (single leg drills, hill climbs, sprints, etc.) but it is what it is.  I’ve often said that when I get down, like yesterday, that it’s a matter of realizing that the glass is half full, and how far I really have come since last year, the last 5 years, the last 10 years….
And it got me to thinking of 10 years ago, when I was in college.  Before this movie became popular, I made my own life goals list…”the can” list.  I had heard of the bucket list, but wasn’t a fan of the concept of “to do before I die”.  I decided that the “can” list was better, because it focuses on what I CAN do and WILL do…plus, wouldn’t you rather play kick the can instead of kick the bucket?  Yeah, yeah.  That’s what she said Smile 
So, without further preamble, after I got off the bike, I searched through my old floppy disks (cause that’s what the cool kids used back in 2002) and pulled out my CAN LIST!!  The last time I updated this list was early 2004…check it out!
THE CAN LIST
1. run a marathon: done 2008, 2010, again in 2011 I hope Smile
2. learn to drive standard
3. take a pointe class (done, several times)
4. dance in a pointe dance in a recital (done)
5. choreograph a dance for performance (done)
6. drive cross country
7. go to a spa…health, beauty, exercise, one of those week things
8. write a book (in progress!)
9. get it published
10. tour Europe, Australia, brazil, visit some African countries
11. go to all 50 states (States so far: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia)
12. get shot glasses from every state
13. dance on the bar (done)
14. get a tattoo ( done) and again in 2010!
15. graduate college (done 2004)
16. get my masters started this…
17. get my doctorate
18. get a huge ass pickup (since I live in Wayne county, it’s only a matter of time…)
19. own waterfront property
20.learn to waterski
21. learn sign language
22. learn how to play the piano
23.learn how to play the guitar
24.act in a movie
25.read the bible
26.weigh 125 pounds (wow….was I in a bad place!)
27. save someone's life
28. get a 4.0 one semester (done 2004)
29. fix things with old college friend from Oswego
30. fix things with Berlin (person, not the city!)
31. get married (done 2009 Smile)
32. have children
33. break a world record
34. make an important discovery
35. run a mile in 6 minutes (done 2010…wow!)
36. volunteer in a nursing home
37. Take care of my mom and uncle
38. be on a reality tv show
 
Some of these truly make me laugh (26 and 38) although…I wouldn’t mind the reality show, if it was fun enough!  I think its about time to update this list…add a few things, reassess some goals (am I allowed to add Ironman even though I already did it? Smile)  Either way, a fun glimpse into the past and a great chuckle.  Stay tuned for the 2011 updated version…The Can list, ten years laterSmile with tongue out

2 comments:

  1. Your CAN list is amazing!!! And you definitely need to come to MN :)

    Thanks for your nice reply to me in the comments of Healthy Tipping Point -- I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "can list" I need to make one! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete