Thursday, March 17, 2011

Chchchchia!

Thanks everyone for the great song recommendations!  Keep 'em coming-I really appreciate it!!

So, today was the last speed workout before the big race.  3 x 1600 @ 7:20 pace on the 'mill.  It was rough, but I did it!  As the last repeat started, "Till I collapse" came on my player, and that gave me the strength to power through. Boo. ya.

The Workout
Warm up:  .5 mile @ 8:40 pace
3 x 1600 @ 7:20 with 1 min recovery
Cooldown: 1 mile EZ
Total distance:  5 miles
Time:  41:02
Pace: 8:12

Rock it, baby!  Only a 10 miler, and two short 20-30 minutes run next week then it's time to hit DC!!  Woop Woop!

But today, I would like to briefly discuss something straight out of the '80s (the 80s child that I am :-)) CHIA!!  (Ok, I just googled to get this picture and am a bit disturbed to find out that there is an Obama chia head.  Just sayin').
When I was growing up, these things were the coolest.  Since my mom wouldn't pay 15 bucks for a ceramic fuzz head, I didn't own one (smart lady) but I did enjoy the commercials-who didn't!
Well, as much as these things were cool, being an avid reader of healthy living blogs, I was amazed to discover a few years ago that chia seeds are edible and actually quite healthful for you!  (No, they won't turn you green.  I think.  Check back with me on that one in a few weeks!)
Anyways, the seeds are a good source of protein and act as sort of a sponge to hydrate you, which is great for runners and endurance athletes.  I wasn't willing to drop a million bucks to order them online, but I found them in the bulk bin at Wegmans this week, so I figured, why not?
Apparently you can drop one part chia seeds to 9 parts water and get a "gel" to eat, but I decided to play is safe for my first time out and try it with something that, in my opinion, goes with everything:  oats.
So I combined 1/3 cup oat bran and water and brought to a boil on the stove, added some fresh blubes, and then a tbsp. of chia.  I let it simmer for a bit, then took off the heat so the seeds could do their expansion magic (which yielded 2 cups of oat bran when done-score!)  Check it out!
Up close chia love:

It might not be the prettiest, but it worked!  The seeds kind of remind me a bit of tapioca, but really are flavorless.  Now lets see if I get the superhuman powers that they say they provide :-D

That's all for tonight-I've got the new copy of Lava calling my name....and maybe some key lime yogurt, cause it is St. Patrick's Day and all!  I suppose it's lucky that I got married....seeing as I'm really 88 instead of 28 :-P

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment