Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Redneck Woman

4.  Yup, that's it.  4.  Commence to freak out.....tomorrow.  Today, I want to deviate from triathlon.  Yes, you can pick your jaw up off the floor.  I do pretend to have other interests in life, I promise!

Today is a sad, sad day my friends.  I found out this morning that one of our local bars will be closing it's doors on Saturday.  The Roost, or "The Roost Country Showcase", which has been a part of my life for the past 9 years, will be closing.  Yup.  A country bar.  Did you think I really went to a bar to drink?  Nah, I go to dance :-).  From Thursday Nights throughout the Geneseo years (when my roomie and I taught line dancing to a bunch of drunk college kids and I got tossed out of the bar for under-aged drinking!), to post BJ's nights with the crew (how I worked from 7:30am-10:30pm the went to the bar for 4 hours, I will never know!), to hanging out with the future hubster and line dancing once a week (yup, he learned how to line dance, he's a keeper).  And finally, my bachelorette party where Mama TFB got ridiculously drunk and gave everyone a huge laugh.....such a good place!  Very near and dear to my heart, and it will be missed. 
And so, in the spirit of TFB, I give you....the top ten reasons to love The Roost!
1.  It was the only bar in town where in a ten minute span you could hear Jessica Simpson, Hanson, Def Leopard, and Boney (Ra ra!)
2.  The hot RIT guys came out to dance every week.  This is a big deal when you are 20.
3.  Couples dances.  A new way to fall in love with your man-having him dip you on the dance floor.  Such fun.
4.  The "really into it" cowboys-kicks over their head and 80 year old men that like to dance with the 20 somethings.  Love.
5.  The bouncers. Three of my old college friends, especially Johnny.  Smooches.
6.  Cheap drinks.  Not so much my forte, but they have everything from 2 dollar cokes to 3 dollar shots-which is super helpful for those under 21- they let you in at 18 :-)
7.  AMAZIN' Thursdays-both in college with my roomies, which was an awesome kick off to the weekend, and in the post college years with my BJ's people....ahhh, such fun.  And it wasn't even the weekend!
8.  The ability to go to a bar and not be bored.  Dancing....everything from crazy country lambada (hunk of burning love!) to the Electric Slide...the Roost had it all.  Impossible to be bored.
9.  My bachelorette extravaganza-much love to my bridesmaids for the awesomeness that was this night.  Somehow, I got to propose marriage, pluck a chest hair, get a piggy back, steal a sock, and inspect toilet paper.  All while seeing Mama TFB drink 7 Smirnoff's in two hours.  No, we weren't drunk.  What are you talking about? :-D

10.  last but not least.....getting to the know the hubster.  Boy meets me at work one night, then braves the country bar a mere 2 hours later Just to see me.  Sigh.  Learned every country couples dance just to share them with me, and never hesitated to jump on the dance floor.  Love ya, babes!

And cause I'm a little crazy like that, I also have to list out the top ten line dances (circa 2006...I fell off going for awhile after that!)

10.  Round the World!  (Irish dance, Ra ra Rasputin! Russian, Greek)
9.  T-R-O-U-B-L-E
8.  These Boots (are made for walkin')
7.  Push
6.  The Canadian Stomp (To Def Leopard, of course!)
5. My Maria
4.  The Tush Push!
3.  Nothin' to Lose
2.  The Shadow-beginners couple's dance :-)
1.  And of course...the forbidden dance...The Country Lambada!

To the Roost.  May you never be forgotten! 

No comments:

Post a Comment