Thursday, September 15, 2011

I can ride my bike (with no handlebars)

9 days (get used to this...I can get a bit ridiculous pre-Ironman!)

So, appropriately enough, today I would like to profess my love for someone very special in my life.  My 'roo, Summer.  Nope,  not the cat.  (I have a fur kid named Summer, nicknamed "Summeroo"  or "Roo".....don't ask :-))

Since I clearly am a few crayons shy of a box, let me 'splain.  Back in 2008, I got hit by a car while riding my road bike...and the only positive thing that came out of the settlement was enough dinero for a new tri bike.  I bought a Quintana Roo Chiquilo cause....it was women specific, light, affordable, and, let's face it, pretty pretty pink.  Since it's a "Roo" and I have a 'roo kitty, I named the bike Summer.  (Nope, I am not wholly unimaginative either, I fell in love with Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream back in high school and named my cat after the play).

Back to the bike.  We have a love/hate relationship...mostly love.  Last year, she carried me 5000 miles during Ironman training, so far this year, she's carried me 3800 plus miles.  Not too bad.  Sometimes we have slight disagreements when it comes to hill descending or riding in the rain....and we parted ways for just a bit post Ironman last year (spending 7 hours on your bike in one day will usually give you cause to take a break :-P)  but we have a good solid relationship and enjoy spending 5-15 hours per week bonding.  Roo, I love you!
So, why the bike love today?  Well, a few reasons.  First of all, in 10 days, I might not be as charitable with 'Roo :-)  Secondly, I have decided that it might be wise to ditch my car and be a biker girl. 

Forever.
Going green....good.
Getting Exercise....good.
Telling the DMV where to stick it...PERFECT.  And thus, my rant of the day.  My license expires in two weeks, as Officer friendly so politely informed me when he gave me my love note last week.  So I decided to be pro-active and renew the sucker online yesterday so that I didn't have to go to the DMV on my birthday.  It's a nice place, don't get me wrong.  But I can think of other ways to celebrate. 
So I sat down yesterday to renew, and was thwarted halfway through when they wanted my Eye doc's license number.  So I called my eye doc.  They told me they don't give that out over the phone, I needed to wait until I got my renewal in the mail, then come down and fill out a form with them, sign it, then mail it in. I asked if they had extra forms, and behold, they did! So I went out after work yesterday to pick it up (of course, 20 minutes out of my way).  I signed the form, got the license number, then sat down again today to renew.  Got through the process, submitted my info, and a big ole error message shows up "Cannot process".  $hit.  I check my email and lo and behold, there is a confirmation email stating that the DMV charged my credit card 64.50, but no confirmation number.  Did it go through or not?  I don't know.  The DMV won't let me reply to the email.  You need to go online to their FAQ's, which, by the way, do not answer squat.  They want you to call a "Call Center".  But in order to call to check your transaction, you need a confirmation number.  What the.....?  So I called anyways, 6 times, and each time a nice recorded gentleman informs me that all lines are busy and that I can find the answer to my question online, then hangs up on me.  F*(&ck.  I give up.  No wonder people move out of this country.

I'm denouncing my car and riding my bike.  I'll save 64.50, a crap ton in gas, and never see my best friend from Macedon's finest again.  Sounds like a win-win to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment