Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lead Shoes

And now for the inevitable downside of taper.  Lead shoes syndrome.  6 days till go time (crazy) and with the run I had today, I am feeling pretty poo-ish about this marathon!  It's normal for taper (repeat to self a thousand times).  My shoes felt like they were filled with lead.  My head hurt.  I couldn't breathe.  Ack.  The pace still wasn't too bad, but I felt like I was crawling and barely keeping my head above water.  Fail.
Meh.  At the risk of sounding like a total Debbie Downer, this taper sucks.  My feet hurt, my knee hurts, I'm tired, I have a headache, and just feel like blech. 
I keep telling myself this is normal.  It is, right?  Someone please tell me it is :-P  Sigh.
Moving along.  The Sunday before Ironman is typically an extremely dead day for me....aside from my mess of a 7 miler, I've watched a few random movies (The Social Network-which was so-so, and Megamind, which was actually quite hilarious) and I've read the most disturbing book ever.
It's so strange...I have no energy at all and don't feel like doing anything, but at the same time, I am super bored.  Hopefully, this will pass.
Channeling myself ahead to Thursday....when it is time to get out of town and head to Cambridge....the path of training for Ironman 2 is almost complete.....breathe, just breathe.
Anyone else get crazy when the big day is almost here?  How to you prep for it?

1 comment:

  1. For me it helps to have something involving to distract my mind. If you're into games (I know your man is), try spending some time with an RPG. If it's a good one, the combination of story and the underlying system that represents the world is a great way to enthrall your mind and take it away from pesky nagging thoughts of whatever.

    ReplyDelete