Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Poisonous Venom

And....it's Monday/Tuesday.  There's something especially yucky about coming back to the grind after a long weekend, but I'm gonna take the "glass half full" road and go with the fact that it's a 4 day week to cheer me up.  Yay!
Bee, you're not cute.
First things first...bee update.  The swelling is a bit less today, but it's still red, hot and puffy.  I think the benadryl is helping, but I still wasn't thrilled with the way it looks, so I called the doc and they got me in this afternoon.  The result?  Two scripts, an epi pen, and a follow up with an allergist.
Yikes.  Seriously how do you're not allergic to something when you're 29 years old?  Learn something new every day.
Hey, we like to keep it interesting.
The actual diagnosis was cellulitis due to "poisonous venom of insect bite" (so dramatic!!)...which is basically just an inflammation due to allergies/rash/etc.  Since I'm allergic to penicillin (oh the irony), my doc wrote me two scripts-one a 10 day regimen of two pills a day and a Z pac for allergies that has 8! pills the first day and then decreases over 6 days.
So basically, I'm a walking druggie the next 10 days.  Awesome. 
And this is coming from someone that hates aspirin. :-(  Oh well, you gotta do what you gotta do.
In addition, I have an appointment with an allergist to assess my reaction, as well as a follow up with the doc next week.  And he marked me up with a pen (good call, Jenn!) and I'm supposed to call back ASAP if it travels anymore.
My last goodie?  An EPI pen.  I've had some experience with these things through first aid courses, but never had the pleasure of having one.  Apparently, if you get stung, you can jab yourself with the pen in order to stop the venom.
The only downside?  Holy money, batman!  The original cost for all my goodies was $350, then the people at Target decided it might be a good idea to check to see if I had insurance (no, guys, I've only been coming to you for 5 years.  yeesh).  After the insurance check, the meds were only $10 together, but according to Target, my insurance doesn't cover the EPI pen, which was...freaking $270! 
I think I'll be on the phone with my carrier tomorrow.  I think if I pay $500 a month for the hubs and I to be covered, they can pony up some of the EPI pen.  Or at least that's what I tell myself I'll pull on my big girl panties and tell them tomorrow.
Whew.  That was my excitement for the day.  The rest?  Nothing major.  I got weighed at the docs and found out that my scale is off at home (and NOT in a good way) so I hit P90x up when I got home...need to shake up my routine!
Chicken lettuce BBQ wraps with corn for dinner, sweet taters, and now it's time for some herbal tea and my DVRed Bachelor Pad.  And yes, I took that tea WITHOUT honey.  Damn bee.
Are you allergic to anything?
 

4 comments:

  1. I am allergic to poison ivy and how ironic i have some nasty, ugly, itchy, annoying spots on my arm right now. What fun. I have known of my allergy all my life and still can't seem to stay away from it. There are worse things in life to have. I'll be happy when it's gone! Hope u get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I imagine poison ivy must be hard to stay away from when you have kids!

      Delete
  2. That's one ugly prescription bill! Good luck arguing with your insurance company.

    I'm lucky in that I'm only allergic to a couple of medications (penicillin, amoxicillin, and sulfa), so I avoid them; and a few things in nature (ragweed, pollen, cats) that can be managed with Zyrtec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man, I feel for you on the cat thing....that would be terrible! Just cats, or all animal dander?

      Delete