Thursday, September 20, 2012

30 by 30

Another day, another dollar, yo. I'm counting down the hours until Sunday, our "family day of rest". I'm counting down the days until we leave for vacation (that would be 9) and the amount of WORK days left (that would be 6). Deep breaths, Rae. And....speaking of days....only 12 left until I turn 30! Woah!

A few years ago, i was reading an article on Glamour (c'mon, you know you read some trash, too) about the "30 things to do before you're 30". I flagged it, then promptly forgot it. Well, as I was cleaning up some of my emails the other day, I found it. Now, I realize that some of these, if I haven't done 'em, I'm SOL, but I thought it would be fun to go through their "ultimate" list and weigh in....and quick, go out and do that threesome before I turn 30. (Babe, I'm kidding. Really, ew.)
Here's the GREAT list.....
Glamour's 30 things to do before you turn 30
 1. Try an extreme sport - If Ironman doesn't count, I don't wanna know.  Eff it.  I'm counting it.  Stay tuned....an XTERRA IS on the bucket list!
2.Date a bad boy - Been there, done that.  For all you that still need to check it off....make sure he isn't married first (dating fail).  With that said, I know this one's on here so you CAN appreciate the one you end up with.  And I have that in spades, so no complaints :-)
3. Open a retirement account - Done.  I'm an overachiever, so I have a Roth IRA and a 401k.  Hey, when you're in non profit, you gotta plan.  And realize that you'll still be working when you're 70....hey, I'd get bored otherwise, right?
4. Dye your hair a crazy color- Not super crazy, but I did dye it cherry red once.  Watch out, I may come in rockin' purple hair next week.  Think my boss would mind?
5. Do a girls-trip. Just because.  - Ft. Lauderdale, 2004.  Not necessarily the craziest trip ever, but an awesome one filled with little idiot 21 year old craziness.  Ahhh, I love my college roomie!
6. Sing Karaoke - Monday nights at the Roost, and who can forget Jeff's Sing Karaoke competitions?  (He cheated).  I suck at Karaoke, but it didn't stop me in my 20's...and it won't stop me in my 30's :-P
7. Pay off your credit cards - I am lame.  I never owed on them.  I pay them off every month, and my cc company calls me a "deadbeat".  True story. 
8. Buy something totally frivolous, ridiculously expensive and utterly fabulous. -  Some people would say my $2k bike would count toward this....except when you race, it's really not frivolous....hmmm.  Maybe I need to go shopping this weekend!!
9. Fall in love - So lucky to have checked this one off.....before getting married, I still would have said yes, I've done this, but now that I've found my best friend....I really know I have (awww, cue the mush!)
10. Crash a party - Nah.  I was always cool enough to be invited
11. Travel - A work in progress, but I think I'm doing okay :-)  Been to Europe, across the country a few times, and to 24 out of the 50 states....soon to be 25!

12. Volunteer - Check.  Volunteered with Big Sisters, Red Cross and a local animal shelter.  I need to get back into it...it's been awhile. 
13. Do something you're totally terrified of.  - Hate to cash into that whole triathlon thing again....but especially after being hit by a car in '08...I was terrified to ride a bike again.  Terrified to conquer 140.6 miles.  Check, check.  It's amazing how conquering a fear can make you feel like a million bucks afterwards.
14. Meet a drag queen - Yep.  I actually did this one young...when I was a junior, we had a drag queen that was a senior.  I went to the senior ball as a junior and not only got to meet a drag queen, but I also got a slow dance with one.  Sweet!
15. Buy yourself an amazing piece of jewelry- Hmmm.  I haven't done this one.  But....is it un-girly of me to say that I don't really care?
16. Love your body-  This is an ongoing issue, as I'm sure it is with everyone.  But even though I may be a bit more squidgy than I was when I walked down the aisle 3 years ago....I still love my body and what it can do.  And I still fit into my size 6 wedding gown.  Ka-ching :-P
17. Learn how to change a tire - Does a bike tire count?
18. Reconnect with an old friend/family member- Done both.  We had a falling out with a family member about 10 years ago and I was able to reconnect a few years back and actually get to see them, even though they live across the country.  Now we keep in touch, and I love it.  Same thing with an old friend from school that I lost touch with.  Baz Luhrmann said "the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young".  Smart man. 
19. Ask for a raise - so hard.  I would say I've done this, but I can't take all the credit for it.  My boss rocks my socks off and is a huge advocate for my career, but when you work in non profit, it's not the easiest thing to ask for more dinero.  Pretty happy with the job :-)
20. Take a dance class - check.  I took dance all through college, but also took a ballet class last year and a modern class this year.  Would love to get back into it long term, though, especially if I can hunt down a class that has a performance at the end of the year.  What can I say, we've all got the performance bug. 
21. Schedule a health check-up- I am a good girl and go to the docs every year :-)  Sorta have to when you do endurance crap.
22. Understand your taxes, 401k etc. - It's a learning process, but I am pretty vested in my own financial doings.  I did my own taxes until '09 when we bought a house, and now to make sure we get back everything we can, I do pay an accountant to do it.  But I'm a big dork and like to play around with our accounts and loans to maximize our household cash flow.  I suppose I can be an adult sometimes :-)
Holiday at our home with the one I love
23. Apply for your dream job - hmmm.  I think I have to put that one in red.  I do like my job and feel fulfilled, but I wouldn't say I am 100% in love with it.  I would love to get into something health/fitness related, but am not in a rush to do it.  And if you can pay the rent, not hate work, and feel like you accomplished something at the end of the day.....that's good enough for me. 
24. Do something insanely romantic for someone you love-  Wow, talk about tooting your own horn.  I'm gonna say yes (and the hubs can refute) but I think that giving him a trip to San Francisco for our one year anniversary would count.  Such a fun and romantic trip for our first anniversary :-)
25. Host a dinner party for your family - Pretty sure I got this covered.  We do Christmas, New Year's, and an extended family summer picnic every year.  Just call me Suzie Homemaker.
26. Master an amazing dish- Got it.  My secret recipe for pulled BBQ chicken is super simple, but everyone loves it.  Same thing for homemade pizza with herbed dough.  The hubs requests it all the time.  (And he does the dishes....bonus!)
27. Swim in the ocean  - Check.  Even done a few races in the ocean!
28. Go to dinner and a movie by yourself- Hmm.  I've never done this!  We're pretty bad about eating out, so it never occurred to me. 
29. Live alone-  Yup.  From 2004-2005 I lived in a one bedroom apartment.  Until my gate crasher moved in.  But at least I married the guy a few years later :-)  I did like living alone (I'm an introvert) but the hubs and I do give each other our space, so I don't miss it. 
30. Ask a guy out -Odd fact.....I've never been dumped (I'm the heart breaker). But I've never had a boyfriend that I've "asked out".....they've always asked me when it turns into an actual relationship.  However, I've unsuccessfully asked out a few guys....and successfully flirted my way into a few hook ups (hangs head in shame).  So does that count?
Well, according to Glamour, I think I'm going pretty well!  Now this weekend I just have to max out my credit card on a super expensive necklace or something, go out to dinner and a movie, then crash a frat party.  Anyone want to join me?  (except for the dinner and movie....I have to pretend I don't know you there and do that one on my own!)

How many of these have you done before you turned 30?  (If you're there yet!)

2 comments:

  1. you can do them all before 30 I bet:) Party!

    Cuz Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done 23 out of 30 - and I'm 32!

    ReplyDelete