Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chowda

Well, happy groundhog day, all!  I guess the little guy saw his shadow this morning (which may or may not ALLEGEDLY have to do with the TV cameras) so it looks like we're in for another 6 weeks of winter.  6 weeks from when?  Has it started yet?  Not that I'm complaining.  Not all all. 
But since Phil says it's still winter, let's make some soup, shall we?  Sounds good to me. And since it's a weekday, I think it's a crock pot day.  Love this thing. There's nothing better than throwing random crap in a pot, leaving for the day, then coming home to the smells of an almost ready dinner.  Such a modern day convenience.  If you don't have one, go buy one.  I've had my slow cooker for about 8 years now, and can't live without it.  (Really, I need to start using the programmable cool guy one I got for my wedding.  But for now, the 10 dollar melted top crock pot works out just fine.  yeah, don't ask).
Okay, where was I?  Oh yes, soup.  The flavor of the day....chowder.  Minus the cream and heaviness, but none of the flavor.  Whatcha think?

Veggie Chowda
3 potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup french onion dip
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. celery salt
2 cups broccoli, chopped

Chop up all the veggies.  Add to the crock.  Cover with 5 cups water.  Add in spices and Parmesan cheese.  Simmer on low for 6 hours.  Add in french onion dip.  Simmer for an additional 30 minutes. (yeah, you know you're distracted by the melted top of the crock pot.  Okay fine.  Don't put the crock pot insert in the oven to finish cooking something with the top on.  Ever.  Palm face).

Serves 4 for a nice bowl of veggie soup goodness sans guilt.


Yeah, take that, groundhog.  Six more weeks of soup time.  Even if it is 40 degrees out :-D


1 comment:

  1. Oh YUM that looks good!!!! Happy Groundhog day to you too (well, yesterday...details..) :-)

    ReplyDelete