Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Color of the Season

Well, one of 'em, anyways!  I'm back to my cookie monster ways....who needs more sugar?  No one?  Fine.  Who wants more sugar?  Yup, that's what I thought.  Lets DO IT!
Cookie #1: Red Velvet cookies!  Confession.  These are somewhat of a cheat.  I saw the recipe online (nope, not my own) and it even called for cheaters cookie mix...though I tweaked it to fit what I had on hand!  Ah well.  See, I don't like Red Velvet cake, but Mama TFB adores it, so I made these for her.  The hubster gave them two thumbs up.  (I cram food in his mouth quite a bit :-P)

Ingredients
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz)  sugar cookie mix
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon red food color
1 egg
1 cup cream cheese frosting
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together first 6 ingredients until smooth dough forms.  Drop by spoonfuls on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake for 9-11 minutes at 375.  Let cool on wire racks for at least 30 minutes.  Grind nuts (I have a cool grinder but the ole rolling pin to a zip lock bag works).  Frost.  sprinkle with nuts.  Heaven.
Cookie #2....Almond Crescents!  These are Uncle Alan's faves, and, let's face it, he's a pretty cool guy, so we're gonna give him the cookies he likes!  These guys are pretty simple.  Take your basic sugar cookie recipe, add in 1/2 cup cornstarch, and  one cup ground almonds. Roll  dough into one inch logs, shape into crescents.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.  Let cool completely, dust with confectioner's sugar.  Makes about 5 dozen.

Yum, yum yum!  And since my toosh spent 2 hours on the trainer this morning watching White Christmas, guess who's gonna "sample" these babies to make sure they are safe to serve?  (hint-it's not the hubster). 

One more day of cookies then its partay time!

No comments:

Post a Comment