Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tempo Insanity

Well, today was the day...for the big challenge of the week. What big challenge?
Do the effin tempo run.
I hate tempo runs.
They aren't enjoyable (long runs-easy pace and chill).  They aren't quick speed bursts with breathing time in the middle (speed work).
They just....suck.  25-50 minutes of running at an uncomfortable speed?  Bite me.
Oh, you want a PR, Rae?
Well then you have to learn to run FASTER.
Definition of Insanity-Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.
Insanity running:  going at the same speed over and over again, expecting to get faster.
Point taken :-)
So, during lunch, I headed out into the sunshine for 4 tempo miles.
This time I tried something different.
I warmed up for a mile. 
Now, I know you think I'm silly.  If you're a runner, you would think..."No kidding, sparky, it would make sense to warm up your body to get to a quick tempo.  duh!"  If you're not a runner, you would think "Um, HELLO!  You're going to run, yes?  So why would you need to run to get ready to run?  Silly girl".
Well, let me tell you, up until today, save for speed work (where you have to warm up or you'll hurt yourself)  I was firmly in camp 2.  Why in the heck would I warm up when I planned to put my body through 4 miles of hell?
Um, because it works.  I took the first mile easy (9:15-9:30 pace) then took off for 4 miles.
I won't sugar coat it.  It was hard.  But....32:16 later (8:04 pace...planned 8:05-8:10 pace...WOOT WOOT) I finished my tempo miles.  Then I did something even weirder.
Tempo Runs-there's gotta be a better way!
I turned away from my house and went on a cool down mile!
WHAT??  Usually I just walk the rest of the way home and call it a day.  But it was gorgeous, I was riding a high, and I felt like relax running for a bit.
It. was. Awesome.
Best part, aside from nailing the tempo?
At mile two, I saw a truck coming toward me labeled "Oxygen".  Either a concerned neighbor was trying to help, or that's irony at it's best :-)
So, I learned something ( that might be freakin obvious to everyone but me).  Embrace something you laughed at before when it comes to a challenge.  Even if it seems dumb.  It just might work!
Now, warming up for a marathon or Ironman?  That's just whack...unless you're planning to BQ or KQ.  What are you, a masochist? :-P
Are you pretty much set in your ways, or are you open to trying something different that you poo pooed before?  I'm gonna keep my mind open from now on!

1 comment:

  1. Great job holding that target pace! Such a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete