Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Purple Power

Time for Tuesday!!  Last night was an excellent anniversary celebration....a quiet evening with the hubster, grilling steak (him) and roasted veggies and chicken (me)!  YUM.  We also watched The Adjustment Bureau (really good!) and, of course, exchanged our "cotton" gifts.  My gift to the hubster: a cotton hammock for 2 for some lazy fall days.  He was pleased!  The hubster's gift to me: a cotton pair of jammies with a bathrobe..and in the pocket a gift certificate for a couple's massage for 2....SCORE!  I would say this was a successful year :-) Here's to 78 (or so) more!!
****

Eggplant-yummy!
 
Now, onto today.   How to follow a fun day like yesterday?  With more veggies, of course!!  Today's "veggie of the day" : EGGPLANT.  I used to eye this veggie with a bit of skepticism-what can one do with an eggplant?  They require too much work!!  But, after rock bottom prices at the Farmer's market, I stocked up, perused some websites, and found a few recipes that looked like they needed some "Rae-a-fying".  Yup.  I just made that up.  It works.
First, you need to  remove excess moisture from the purple orb.  To do this, you can either slice it up and salt it and let it set, or, broil it out.  The latter method worked best for my first dish-Eggplant Parm!
In order to make this dish a little more suited to my tendency to eat the whole thing waistline friendly, I nixed the oil, batter, etc. side of it and chose to use the basics:  an eggplant, a ripe tomato, a cup of organic tomato sauce, fresh garlic, and a smattering of mozzarella cheese (about 1/3 cup). 

Dish one: Eggplant Parm!

Step 1:  Slice up your eggplant, and arrange on a cookie sheet.  broil for 5 minutes, flip, repeat.  This gets rid of the moisture so you don't have soggy pants eggplant (cause that's just gross).  Slice up your tomato.  Arrange a layer of eggplant, layer of tomato, sprinkle of garlic, repeat.  Drizzle the sucker with your sauce, sprinkle your cheese on top, and stick it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.  Holy. Yum.  Super easy, super healthy, super filling!
(note-I did add in a turkey sausage patty for some protein, but you could always amp it up with some ground beef if that's your thang.

Up Close love:


Winner, winner, chicken eggplant dinner.  So, how do I top that?  Don't know if I can, but I decided to use eggplant two yesterday on the grill....this time I sliced it width wise and and sprinkled with garlic herb salt.  Gave it to my grill master hubster, on the grill for 20 minutes alongside some chicken breast and caramelized peppers and onions.  Yum.  O.



Grilled Eggplant with spices plus chicken and spices
Okey Dokey.  Eggplant = Success! Go buy one.  Now.  They are amazing.  You won't be disappointed :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment