Sunday, August 21, 2011

It's all Mental

How does one approach a two hour run the day after a 7 hour bike/run?
Answer:  Very, very carefully!
This morning it looked pretty rough out, so I settled in for a wet run.  Of course, as soon as I set out, the rain cleared and it became pea soupy.  Yummy.  Thankfully, I had planned to take it easy and loaded up my MP3 player with some fun 80s music (Come on Eileen, Venus, Mickey, and of course Right Said Fred).  Damn straight I was too sexy for that run :-P  Moving along.
I set up a nice 4.2 mile loop, planning on hitting it 3 times.  The first loop started out slow, then about mile 4, it began to sprinkle.  Perfect.  But then the rain got harder and harder....but my pace picked up and I felt pretty good!!  About mile 9, it began to thunder, lightning and pour.  I passed a dude on one of my back country roads out doing the same thing I was and we exchanged a laugh at our crazy tom foolery.  Really, what else was there to do!?!  As the rain came down in buckets, I saw a friendly tiburon at mile 11....the hubsters was coming to do rescuez!!  He told me that the lightning made him nervous and he was going to follow me the rest of the way home.  Awww...so for the last 15 minutes I had my own rock star sag vehicle following me home, one sopping step at a time.  Puddles, flash flooding and not being able to see 2 feet in front of me...awesome.  I just laughed at the ridiculousness of it and shelved it into my "HTFU mental strategies" toolbox.
So what, might you ask, does a 12.5 mile run in this monsoon blogger look like on your doorstep?  Here ya go.

Looks like one wet chickie to me.  Pfft.

This weekend:  112 miles of biking, 21 miles of running, and 3 miles of swimming.  Boo.  Ya.

REST WEEK TIME!!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you basically did an IM this weekend. Way to be hardcore and do that rain-out run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call that a great weekend!!! :)

    ReplyDelete