Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Soup for (Vice) President

Hmmm.  I'm not sure if it's the fact that its smack in the middle of the week, the weather is turning cooler, I was out too much in the rain on vacation, or the speed work kicked my bottom yesterday but....today I feel like crap.
A real foggy head "I'd rather be sitting on the couch and watching bad TV and sipping soup" kind of day.  Well.  I did have to work today, but when I got home, I got my wish.
Soup from the crock pot.
And bad TV.  As in....Joe Biden and Paul Ryan duking it out on National television.  And let's face it, we all need comfort food in the face of today's political shambles.  Now, where's my bottle of wine to go with my grilled cheese and chicken soup?  Oh wait....if I want to run a "two fifty something" marathon (in your dreams, Ryan), I should stick with green tea.
Oh well.  At least there was soup.

Simple Chicken Veggie Barley Soup
(serves 4)
4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
3 cups broccoli, chopped
2 small sweet potatoes, cubed
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1/2 cup dry barley
2 med carrots, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
1 tsp. savory
1 tsp. rosemary

Chop all of the veggies and add to the crock pot.  Add chicken, bones and all.  Fill crock with 5-6 cups water, add in boullion and seasonings.  Cook on low 6-7 hours.  De bone and chop chicken.  (It sounds odd, but I add the bones back in and take out just prior to serving-it adds great flavor!)  Add in barley and cook on low for an additional hour.  Remove bones and serve.
Although the flavor was pretty darn good, the soup alone is probably not enough for dinner...I added in a grilled cheese (because I am secretly 5)!  But a nice side salad or a whole wheat roll would work, too.
Nom nom nom. 
Hit the spot.  Not too heavy, but flavorful and easy on a not feeling so hot kinda day.
The heck with politics.
Soup for President!**
(Wait....what the hell is a "SOUF"?  Aww c'mon, you read those, right?)

**Edited to Add....the debate is on tomorrow.  Lame.  but the soup was still good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment