Thursday, October 11, 2012

Running Pop Quiz!

Running Pop Quiz

 I found this quiz yesterday from one of the running blogs that I read and figured...why not?  It's a perfect fall running day out there, and it's time for my first tempo run.....so in order to get in the mood, I filled out a little 411 on my running likes and habits.  Check it out!
1. FUEL: Shot Bloks, GU, Energy Chews, Candy or Other?
For running, I do either Hammer Gel (Apple Cinnamon flavor tastes JUST like apple pie filling!), dired fruit (craisins...yum!!) or candy...specifically jelly belly jelly beans in either buttered popcorn or toasted marshmallow.  They aren't as easy to take during a race, but during a long training run it helps break up the gel monotony!  (Note- don't try them in the winter....they freeze and are super hard to chew!)
2. Race Length: 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon, Marathon, Ultra or Other?
Ohhh, this is a toughie.  I would say that my MIND prefers the marathon distance....there's just something about 26.2.  But....my body prefers 13.1, and it's much easier to train for a half and avoid injury!  So....I would say about 50/50 on that one.  Still would love to run a marathon in each state, will settle for at least a half in each state!
3. Workout Bottoms: Skirts, Running Shorts, Capris, Pants or Other?
Ohhhh, I'm a complex one, aren't I?  I usually favor capris with a skirt over it....capris for compression, skirt because I am just a titch self conscious (hey, full disclosure, right?)  If it's warm out, I'll wear my lulu shorts, if it's super cold out, I'll wear full length tights (love my cw-x's). 

4. Sports Drink: Gatorade, Powerade, Cytomax, you stick to water when you run or Other?
Old fashioned one here....it's all water.  I've done nuun for some of my longer tri's, but my tummy really hates gatorade, powerade and most DEFINITELY Ironman perform and HEED!  However, I think I need to revisit liquid nutrition when it comes to Ironman, though....it's awfully hard to get in enough calories in solid form when racing for 12 hours!

Cold-NO BUENO.
 5. Running Temperatures: HEAT or COLD?
Well, that ain't easy.  I can't just want 50 degrees all year round and be done with it?  Damn.  Well, I guess if I have to pick one, I would go with heat.  I have Raynaud's, so I tend to get super cold, super fast....and even though I don't do as well in the heat, relative to the field I do MUCH better in heat!
6. Running Shoe Brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Nike, Brooks, Asics or Other?
Long distance, training runs:  Asics 2150-2170 (depending on which year I can get for cheapest!)
Racing Half marathon or less:  Brooks Ghost
7. Pre-race meal: Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Eggs, Cereal or Other?
Tri's- peanut butter toast and a piece of fruit (banana or stone fruit).  Running races - Oatmeal with banana and almonds.  For some reason, the swim portion of a tri and oats combo don't settle well in my stomach....and I learned that one the hard way...blech.  Also must have a cup of caffeinated coffee!  (Since I usually drink decaf, the extra boost gets me going!!)
8. Rest Days: 1x per week, 2x per week, never ever ever or Other?
Damn.  Can I plead the 5th?  I'd like to say 1x a week, but it's moreso once a month in reality.  (hangs head).  I know, I know.  But I do mix it up....2-3 days of running, 2 days of biking and 2-3 days swimming, so it's not all running...I mix up what I work.  I typically strength train twice a week, too, but don't let it fool ya....I aim for 60 minutes on weekdays and 60-90 on the weekends.  I know, I know.

9. Music: Have to have it or go without it?
Love it.  I can run without it, but it really helps me get going to have some tunes to rock out to. I tailor my play lists to my runs-different songs for speed work (hardcore-Rammstein), peppy for tempo (Gangnam style!) and slower tempo for long runs (Fun ). 
Obviously, I race tri's without music, but if it's allowed, I will run a race with headphones.  The one exception is trail running, which in my opinion, has it's own soundtrack-nature!

10. #1 reason for running: stress-relief, endorphins, you love to race, so you can eat all the cupcakes you want, weight-loss, love running for social reasons or Other?
#1:  Stress relief.  Running allows me to get away from life, to contemplate, to figure out solutions to my problems.  I get really grumpy if I can't get out a few times a week (this year was rough!)
#1.5:  The cupcakes.  I won't lie.  But in my world, it's peanut butter and chocolate.  Noms. 

Feel free to play along!  Oh yeah, and that tempo run?  Rocked it.  3 miles in 24:33= 8:11 per mile.  My current tempo pace is.....  It's slower than a few years ago, but baby steps are where it's at, I'm keeping the perspective purely positive on this one!

Now, time for the mess of a debate.  What was I thinking?  I MEANT to say that I did 26.2 in "two fifty something".  Duh :-P

Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment