Monday, October 22, 2012

Primary Colors

WHY is it that the weekends are so short?  And that Monday....is so long.  Oh, right.  That whole working for a living thing.  Man, that can get in the way of a good time, can't it?
Well, today was work work work with a side of work.  I'm only travelling one day this week (woohoo!) so with a full day in the office, I got a crap ton of paperwork accomplished today (and yes, that is the term I'm going with).  Easy recovery day in terms of working out-I did a nice 45 minute no data swim.  I adore swimming in the off season....I take a few months off from structured training (oh heck, that was my entire 2012 season, but who's counting) and just enjoy getting some movement in in the water.  Today I ran through 10 songs on my relaxed play list and then finished off with some kicking.  Shook out the long run kinks, and I'm ready for speed work tomorrow.  Bingo.
That's tomorrow, though.  Today...is about Primary colors.  In more ways than one.

By the numbers!
 First of all, today's the kick off for the Wegman's Eat Well Live Well Challenge where I work.  It's a 12 week program where you count your fruits and veggies everyday, as well as your steps.  Each day you log onto a site and keep track (in terms of servings, and steps) and then tally each week for 12 weeks.  I'm the leader of our group (Team Special K, cause we're special kids), and we're a pretty competitive bunch, so we're hoping for the company win!  Aside from being fun, the challenge focuses on what is sorely lacking in our society....a greater emphasis on movement and eating your primary colors (taste the rainbow!)  On the Eat Well, Live Well site , there's a great chart for the different nutritional options (snacks, serving sizes, etc), as well as a "step conversion" - each activity you do can be converted to how many "steps" it corresponds to, as all activities are entered in as steps (12 miles of running = 24,000 steps).  I can't wait to inspire our team and help lead us into the holiday season with a focus on healthy living!
And, speaking of primary colors...I started off the challenge with a healthy dessert, made from those 8 pounds of cranberries!
Fall Bounty Relish
3 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
3 clementine oranges
2 tbsp agave nectar (or sugar)

Rinse cranberries, add in a saucepan with 1/2 cup water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Add in agave nectar and cinnamon stick.  Peel oranges into sections and add to cranberries, simmer entire mixture on low for 10 minutes, or until cranberries begin to "gel".  Mash with a potato masher in order to get the nice bit sized pieces of a chunky relish. 
That's it.  Super simple.  You can serve with yogurt, over ice cream or....head it straight up like I like it :-)

Such a yummy and healthy dessert.  But probably not the best idea tonight....because we have another form of primary colors....red, blue (and white).  That's right, it's time for the final debate before we head to the polls to decide who's gonna lead us for the next 4 years.....I envision something like this....
Bust out the popcorn and vodka.  It's gonna be an interesting night!  Maybe I'll make a Cosmo and add a fruit to my daily tally :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment